1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linking Science and art

Discussion in 'Primary' started by behindprivateeyes, Nov 1, 2011.

1. No ideas for you but make sure your lessons have a focus. Just because you are doing science and art doesn't mean children are learning either let alone both. Keep your science as practical as possible.
    It might be more useful to link your literacy/writing to your art.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Linking art and science is fabulous. Think of a model of DNA, looks utterly beautiful.

You could do blow paint through straws to create patterns. Ask children to use their imagination and create a picture/pattern of what they think 'air' looks like.

Don't forget lots of afternoons will be taken up with christmas stuff, so don't plan too much.

3. HyperBunny

HyperBunny New commenter

I agree with minnieminx, you could do the bubble effect with fairy liquid, paint and straws, linking it to different types of textures. You could do rubbings of sand/bricks (solids) etc
    or get them to do sculptures, they have to interpret how to represent solids, liquids and gasses (you could use chicken wire and tissue paper to create a water fall, stream type effect, solids can be anything, gasses could even be a hot air balloon).
    Or you could do the Yr5 still life art topic and get them to draw various types of objects linked to solids/liquids/gasses.
    You could always ask the children what they would like to do with art and science, that way they have ownership of their education. I've found it's worked for me...obviously if it's not going the way you want then change it.