1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linking Olympics to Maths Observation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rossmkps, Mar 2, 2012.

1. HELP!!!!
    Need everyones creativity and imagination here.
    Am being observed and want to teach a year six maths lesson. Trying to have it outside and link it to the olympics. Any ideas???

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

trying to remember what we did last year for lea obs. it was outside and involved measuring.
    how about timing running, measuring jumping, measuring throwing. (label the events appropriately) use a frisby for a discus,
    do you teach pe, is there some equipment you could borrow?
    leading to calculating mean, median, mode, range.
    Ensure that they split the results boy and girl to get an easy to compare double set of data.
    grpah if you wish.
    clearly you will need to show what you will do in the follow up lesson as time will be against you.
    converting cm to m??
    have 3 goes, work out the average (mean) time or distance....

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Olympics ideas (but not necessarily outside lessons) here...

4. I was just going to attach the files we used for our curriculum day based on the Olympics but just can't seem to find how that works on here (sure I've looked at other people's attachments before). It's not outdoors but the kids really enjoyed it. Will pm you.

5. Sorry Rossmkps, now realise I can't attach to a pm (doh). Is there any other way to attach a personal file?

6. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

If you are happy for everyone to see it you could upload it as a teaching resource. Then you could PM the link, or even post it here.