1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linking math and science in 'reversible material's.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by roxy7, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi, I've posted this on the science and primary forum too,
    I'm trying to make a resource box, as part of an assignment, that I could use to teach above lessons. I'm choosing 'reversible and irreversible changes' for yr 6 as a topic and have to integrate math in this too.
    For the science part:
    I'm thinking of having small pots with salt, sugar, cement, vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice and washing powder, etc in my box which could be used to see the different changes that occur when mixed together.
    Filter paper, sieves, etc to use when trying for filteration/evaporation. Will check with tutor if I can put a bunsen burner in there too!
    Laminated pics showing permanent changes and asking chn to talk about what's happened.
    Add in some materials that burn completely(wood, coal,oil), chn can talk about why and how when materials are burned heat and light energy are produced.
    As I have to link it to maths, I'm struggling for ideas. I'd appreciate ideas that will help me make this a success. I'm sure there's lots of you out threre with tons of experience and ideas!!!
    Thanks,
    Student teacher, Roxy