1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Link PE to world war two!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lincs-sentinel, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Any ideas!!
    I've looked at possible dance - Waltz on other threads but not very confident.
    My year group is 5/6.
    Thanks
    The Sentinel

2. I once used blitz sounds to create a dance - children were really into it and had to show emotions through poses and high/low level moves. It was really dramatic and we had strobe lights going when we performed it. Could use any war film music or air raid sirens etc.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. I did this with my Year 4s a couple of years ago.
    This is a great starting point if you want to do dance to music from the era:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCT-Qo76C4E
    There is a way of downloading youtube clips so you can play them in school - but its not something I've done.
    We did ours to 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' by the Andrew Sisters (the last song in the strictly medley above).
    The boys loved it - because they loved the song (we sang this and other WW2 songs in our music lessons) and the dance I choreographed wasn't too girly!
    They even wanted to stay in at playtime to practice(!) and I found them doing the dance on the playground too!
    Also the Y3&4 LCP PE has a great dance unit on WW2 called Blitz - it starts with the war announcement and tells the 'story of an air raid' . it worked really well and they really enjoyed this too (I did both as we spent a long time on our WW2 topic)
    HTH
    Chuckles

5. Hi, I have been looking for the music for the Blitz dance and I can not seem to find it anywhere, do you know where I could find it? I am looking to do this with my Year 5 class and would be most grateful of your help!
    Thanks!
    Holly

6. WWII timeline - classdisplays.co.uk

7. I did a few weeks of dance based on the song 'Obey your airraid warden'.
    The kids loved it and also learned a lot about the era from the words.
    On a different note (pardon the pun), I saw a staggering photo the other day - a class of children in the early 60s lined up ready to go in to school. A similar photo from the 40s swould also do.
    The staggering thing was - there were no overweight children in the line. [​IMG]
    If that photo was put next to a photo from this century the difference would be startling.
    That could lead to a lesson about diet and exercise.

8. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

When I did WWII last year with my Y4/5/6 class, I showed them this clip from the BBC
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/dance-party-in-the-1940s/9609.html
    The boys were particularly interested as a lot of the dancing in the clip is done by men and I had a boy-heavy class. I did teach them some basic jive steps, but then they split themselves into groups of 2, 3 or 4 and each choreographed their own dance to about 45 seconds of Glen Miller's 'In the Mood' which we presented to parents at our Victory Party at the end of the term. They loved it, and so did the parents, especially when the children invited them to dance with them at the party afterwards!

9. Assault course around the playground as part of army training?