1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lining up issues.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Jan 29, 2016.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

The logistics of my classroom means I can not line up in my classroom e.g. to go to assembly or to see our children out at the end of the day so we line up outside the classroom.
    I have several boys who always fight to get to the front. Pushing, shoving, squabbling, running etc.

What is the best way to solve this? We tried earning the front but that has just made it more of a 'thing' so has made it worse. We've tried rewards for lining up nicely but it hasn't seemed to work.

They are Year 4.

Thank you for any solutions.

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Have you tried secret walker?

Tell them you are writing down the name of two secret walkers, children don't know who. Then when they've all lined up reveal the names - if they've done it properly they get a reward e.g computer time etc. Make the reward something they'll desperately want to earn.

If they didn't you just tell them that the two chosen children didn't do it well so don't reveal the names.

Boys especially like it as it makes it into a game. Works with my Y4s, who can be a boisterous lot at times!

Kartoshka and Landofla like this.
  3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I use secret walker but call it mystery walker as my autistic child doesn't like secrets!

I also use it occasionally for things like tidy time, manners at lunchtime, well anything, if needed! Works really well, have used for EYFS to y5.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just make a lining up order and that's the order they line up in. Obviously none of the pushers get to go at the front.
    Or use lolly sticks to send them to line up one at a time.
    Think there is an online thingy called 'the hat' where you can pull two or three names out at a time and send the children off to line up in that order.

5. summlard

summlard New commenter

Yea I have just had line up plans in the past with classes that struggle. Boy/girl and in a set order. No nonsense. I don't think rewards and prizes just for lining up are needed. They do it like they've been asked or practice at lunch.

minnie me and Landofla like this.
  6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Line up in age order. End of.

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It's a good habit, and should be school policy that all classes line up in register order (eg alphabetically) which makes fire drills much easy to administer when a roll call is required.

Kartoshka, Maths_Shed and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

That's the policy in our school, too. At lunctime, however, we reverse the line on alternate days so that the poor buggers at the back don't end up with the scrag ends every day.

9. Martial_Artiste

Martial_Artiste New commenter

I make them sit down again until they do it quietly.

10. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I work with 5 year olds who used to do the same thing. Now we have a list of names stuck onto the wall where they line up, and the person at the top is the day's 'line leader'. At the end of the day, that person's name moves down to the bottom of the list. They don't argue about it any more because they can see that it is fair and they know when their turn is coming up.

I can imagine that, with Year 4s, if you did the same thing you would probably end up with children pushing to be second, third, etc. Might be worth having a set order of children (eg. by age, alphabetical) but changing the leader each day - if you were leader yesterday, you are at the back today, but the rest of the line remains the same.

11. Senco84

Senco84 New commenter

I always use assembly order and give them assigned places so there can be no arguments. I can then change assembly order as and when I need to behaviour wise. I also use marbles in a jar so a marble is given for good lining up without fussing and walking silently.

12. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

At least some things in education remain the same. I still have memories as a 'top junior' of squabbling about who would have to go where in the line. If only life was full of such simple troubles now!:D