1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree"

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by vuvuzela, Jan 13, 2018.

1. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

Are we? I found this amusing, little piece and thought I'd share it with you.

https://thetab.com/uk/durham/2015/1...-dont-know-the-meaning-of-a-real-degree-21241

While it is a rant by someone who obviously doesn't like us, I can't help agreeing with his comments about some MFL students on their 'YA'. What is the point in going to a foreign country to learn a language, then hanging out with other English speakers and speaking English? I remember a few like this from my 'YA'.

Any thoughts?

2. cork227

cork227 New commenter

This is almost amusing, he clearly has an issue with MFL students! It looks like it's just some student newspaper though, written by some 20 year old who hasn't a clue about the real world, and will find that when he graduates that his CV would actually be a lot more valuable if he had a language to add to it. Also, I can testify that the statement 'Jobs don’t come flying at you because you speak German' is completely false, when I graduated my from (apparently useless) German degree, I had recruiters cold-calling me offering me entry level jobs in accounting/sales/marketing/HR just because I spoke German.

JL48, pascuam49, Dodros and 2 others like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

:mad:
    Obviously written by someone who doesn;t understand the rigours of language learning and how grammar mistakes impact seriously on ability to get high grades.

Certainly I know I gained more in my YA by 'mixing with the natives' than some on my course, but the 'unwise' choice of activities during non-lecture/study times would apply equally to students on any course, not just MFL.

However, by my username, people would say I'm biased.;)

JL48, Dodros and cork227 like this.
  4. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

This article is two years old anyway...just a saddo with an axe to grind. Did he have nothing better to write about?

Lara mfl 05 and Dodros like this.
  5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

"It’s not it’s a life skill, something we should have all learnt at school, like literally every other nation on earth that teaches English."

He could do with improving his punctuation!
    I wonder why he wasn't also dismissive of those studying English degrees. After all, they are just studying a language in which they are already fluent. As for studying English literature, everyone read books at school and can continue to read novels without it being part of their degree!

I'm actually one of those who spent a lot of time with other Brits on my year abroad. I met mr.jubilee on my first day in the town where I was posted as an English Language assistant. However, my job meant that I was mingling with the natives and I had spent 5 months in the country during a gap year before going to university.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

You could misuse a sandwich year in any degree really. I can think of plenty I know who wasted their YA hanging out with English speakers (this tended to also be connected to lots of drinks and drugs!) but it's a bizarre idea from him that this somehow invalidates MFL degrees!

Plus, some of us are very successful at being poseurs ;) No fecklessness or slouching to be seen!

7. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

I think he might be one of these 'millennials' we hear so much about these days. There was one on here a few weeks ago throwing a tantrum because no-one would take him seriously - the 'Linkword Polyglot'. :)

Schifoan likes this.
  8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

and so speaks a future Secretary of State for Education . .