1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Linear GCSEs

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by delahay, Jul 15, 2011.

1. delahay

delahay New commenter

For some reason I missed Gove's original announcement but I noticed this on the Edexcel website:
    'On Sunday 27 June 2011, Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Education, announced his support for a move to linear assessment of GCSEs.
    For two-year courses starting in September 2012, we expect that all GCSE examinations will be taken at the end of the course, with no modular examinations available. Retaking of units will therefore not be possible. We anticipate that an opportunity to retake GCSE English and GCSE Maths in full will be available in the autumn after first examination.
    The Secretary of State also announced his support for the strengthening of spelling, punctuation and grammar (SPAG) requirements for GCSE examinations. For these SPAG requirements, we expect that English Literature, Geography, History and RS will be the first subjects to be changed for assessments taken in the academic year 2012/13.'
    How do folk feel about this? It will mean no year ten modular entry for the short course. They will have to sit everything at the end of year 11 which for OCR is 2x2hrs exams. Also I have heard rumours that all GCSEs are being rewritten for 2013 and that A level will be going back to linear. Any thoughts?

2. I was wondering how this would work for RE - My year 10s do short course at end of year 10 but then most of them go on to do full course at end of year 11 so it would be viable for them to do the 2 papers in year 11
    However, I don't always know who is not doing the full course beforehand if that makes sense? E.g. borderline weak pupils - I would wait for short course results before deciding whether the pressure of full course was worth it - others do better than expected so get put in. So how would that work?

3. deut

deut New commenter

As I understand, the present sytem allows schools to perhaps spend Year 10 studying and taking a short course, say, in Citizenship and studying for RS SC or ICT SC in Year 11 to give an overall GCSE equivalent. That will no longer be possible for schools.
    It is difficult for me because the whole cohort study two RS short courses and sit the exams at the end of Year 10 and 11. On one 50 minute session a week it will be hard to expect all Year 11s to recall both specification content for two exams at the end of Year 11. It makes life really difficult for RS departments again. It won't work and in a few years time there will be changes again. How short sighted is Gove?

4. But he's doing it for a valid (I believe, although I wouldn't **** on the man if he were on fire!) reason. The 're-sit' culture has devalued GCSEs and A levels. Our Maths dept, sit, resit, sit, resit etc etc They work for the exam and then forget everything. Although I don't necessarily believe that making children work 2 years for one assessment at the end is a good way to measure learing, I can see why he has done it.
    Oh and the other reason he's done it. He did it that way. That's what middle class people did/do. He doesn't know what SEN means. He doesn't know what different learning styles means. He doesn't know what learning skills are. Therefore that this what we should all do.
    Oh and he doesn't give a **** about RE. Just 'worship' and 'reading the bible'. Let's think why he thinks that.... oh He did it that way. That's what middle class people did/do..............

5. ooo it let me say **** and ****! I thought it would censor them! [​IMG]

6. I totally agree regarding resits - but simple answer is leave modular times but only allow 1 resit max per subject - or if I had my way no resits end of! My son sat 2 exams early at Christmas - top set AGT - this allowed him to take an extra GCSE in the time they had left.

Don't know if there is anything in it but I heard a rumour (and only that I hasten to add) that they might do away with short course

7. Hi guys, I am well out ot the loop - any news on whether we can still sit 50% in Year 10 then 50% in Year 11?

Cheers A :(

8. JodiP

JodiP New commenter

It doesn't look like we can
    We are going to really struggle as we only have one lesson a week and don't always get that
    Any solutions gratefully received!

9. ott

ott

When we first started to do GCSEs we studied 2 papers like we do now for the full course with 2 separate exams at the end of year 11. It meant you had to either inter teach the 2 units over the 2 years or do all one paper in Year 10 and recap near to the exams. It will certainly make things difficult for all the people who are not given much time for the subject and don't know where it will leave the short course! Has anyone received notification to say that RS will have to be examined only at the end of year 11?