1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

linear equations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jsmith321, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I'm doing an interview next week for a new job, and for my lesson I have to teach a group of about 15 middle ability year 7's, 'how to solve linear equations with integer coefficients'.
    Any good ideas? I've got a few, maybe I teach them as a class, then they work on some tarsias in small groups, but I only have half an hour for the whole lesson.

Thankyou
    John

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

For several online resources - see this page

3. I had a similar lesson to teach for an interview. It was around xmas time so I used grids with different symbols in that added up to different amounts.
    Students found this really accessible but what the interviewers liked was I linked it back to solving equations by saying:
    If we replace the two pictures of santa with x we are doing algebra, etc. etc.
    I have the resource if you want to modify it. PM me.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

These threads always turn back to a fundamental question of teaching:
    If you are not able to plan one single lesson lasting 30 mins or so that is good enough to get you a job, then how the hell are you going to cope with planning 30 or so lessons a week during the course of your probationary period to stop you from getting fired?
    If you can answer that question satisfactorily then you are good enough to plan the lesson, so get on with it and give it your best shot. If it isn't good enough then you need to spend more time learning.
    Mini-rant over.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

2X + 5 = 7
    How hard can it be? I've shown this to 11 year olds. We do a similar question in KS2 SATs. Get a number, multiply it by 2 and add 5. You get 7. They understand the inverse / reverse operation.
    I've explained that 2X means a number times 2.
    Still - always gets me when you say a number times 5 is 30. What's the number?
    But of course - you do have to plan a lot of lessons in your first year and it is really hard doing a lesson for a class where you have no idea of the ability. That's why interview lessons are so bloody false.

6. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

I think that may be a bit harsh, the OP is just starting out on the Beautiful Journey that we all have enjoyed.

If the internet had been so easy to use when I started, I would have asked the same questions. He is not in a school, so cannot ask people in his department so he takes this route.

7. Karvol

No, it is just being realistic. Perhaps he or she is joining a school where being able to plan a lesson is not that important, but I rather doubt it.

Yes he or she is. In fact he or she is an NQT. I suspect the reason he or she is not asking his or her department for help if because he or she does not want them to know that they need help with this.

8. With you 100% if not more
    I think "what am I going to have to exclude from this an still have fun" when being observed or doing interviews.
    I believe every teach should know what level topics are (within a level either way) and can plan a lesson that can change direction at any given moment.
    I also whince at people saying "I have spent 8 hours prepping for a lesson ob I have this week"
    If you have:
    (i) Your other kids have suffered who you could have spent time planning for
    (ii) its not sustainable
    (iii) its not a reflection of your true craft as a teacher
    (iv) Its important to realise that outstanding lessons do not have to be circus acts. They have to progress the whole group.
    The only things IMO that hould differ is clear data/lesson plan available (if applicable) and being slightly more explicit in terms of what you are doing, where you are going and what the level is.
    I would like people to come on and say "I have this as my plan, please can you critique it"
    This thread is not half as alarming as many though.

9. Thanks for all your advice guys, I've taken it all on board, I'll let you know how I get on.
    I'm perfectly capable of planning a good lesson, but since there was a lot riding on this one, I thought it would do no harm to ask around ask for ideas from people who have been teaching longer than one year though, sorry to have annoyed you.

John.

10. Karvol

You didn't annoy me.
    Good luck with the interview.

11. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I think you've misunderstood me.
    I meant there will be a few in the class who are convinced that "2x + 5" is "7" (and another group will be convinced that "2x + 5" is "7x").
    Those misconceptions need to be addressed.

12. I can be hard enough to be the most taxing bit of algebra on the current edexcel foundation paper that 16 year olds sit.
    Sad but true.
    I am though often against the idea of teaching kids with any potential the idea of 'working backwards' with linear equations.