1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Line of Duty 5 - there WILL be spoilers!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peapicker, Mar 10, 2019.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Wasn’t there another time this series when definitely was spelled wrongly? I think it’s deliberate. I don’t know for what reason but there is no way a spelling error would go through the editing process unnoticed.

What an amazing series this is turning out to be. I wasn’t too impressed by the first two episodes but that was probably because I fell asleep during parts.

Also also, anyone else need to google ‘Fahrenheit’ following the wire incident?

I hope Hastings doesn’t turn out to be a baddie. It’s happened before though. I’m sure they’ll be some more twists before the series ends.

2. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I thought the misspelling was a huge clue; my flatmate says half the country spell it that way, it doesn't mean anything and it's just the English teacher in me!

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The spelling of 'definately' was definitely relevant.

Jamvic and bombaysapphire like this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"definately" (it even hurts to type it wrongly) was delberate, I'm sure. It must be a code word to show Lisa that she is talking to Hastings. I am clinging onto the hope that she is a deep UCO, run by Ted to try and catch the real H. Operation Peartree, which is John's UC operation, was secret, so there might be two UCOs at once? Or maybe it's an H codeword. Ted was very keen to push the cybercrime lady aside and type himself.
    And what else was recorded on John's phone when Mrs Ted was being tortured?
    And what happened to Anne-Marie?

magic surf bus likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How can Lisa be UCO? Hasn't she been embedded in the OCG for years?

I want her to be but I don't see how it's possible.

If Corbett and Ted turn out to be related in some way then I'll be desperately disappointed. Far too much of a coincidence and entirely unnecessary. I want Corbett to have been basically a good guy who got in over his head rather than a bitter man trying to get payback for his mother having been abandoned by his birth-father.

What was the point of the attack on Ted's wife? Just vindictiveness? Corbett can't have learned anything thereby. It makes no sense.

6. mothorchid

I can't remember how long Lisa has been around in the OCG.
    I didn't think John might be Ted's son! I just thought something had happened in NI when Ted worked there which had resulted in A-M's death and thus there was fall out. I think John had more stuff recorded on his phone from Mrs Ted, which we haven't heard yet.
    I also think Sam will have a part to play - she keeps popping up but I don't know why yet...

needabreak likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

I'm sure Lisa pointed out to John a while back that she'd been in this line of work for a long time and he was the new boy?

I just don't want it to be Corbett's personal vendetta against Ted! For whatever reason.

Just shows how undercover work sours the life of the cop. You can't help but distrust everyone. It's poisonous. The career criminal has one objective: look after number one. But the cop is supposed to have a higher calling whilst behaving despicably. How do you reconcile your conscience and desire for justice with the serial deceit? I do find this kind of thing hard to watch.

needabreak likes this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

This season to date has been the most disappointing and ( for the tape ;) ) I have held Mercurio in very high regard before LOD stuff ( read Bodies before anyone had ‘ heard ‘ of him ) unless he pulls off the most incredible OMG moment I shall be disappointed massively and am sort of prepared for that :(

Jamvic likes this.
  9. mothorchid

You're right, GDW, I had forgotten that Lisa said that. And yes, a personal vendetta seems a bit thin, but I trust Jed, who will deliver, I am sure.
    The moral ambiguities are one of the reasons it's such an interesting watch, no? That and the superb acting, like John's phone call to his wife and Ted's hospital visit to his. And the twisty-turny plot, of course!

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

11. mothorchid

I need other people's ideas. Ted seemed to me to be genuinely shocked at the end of the episode, thus showing he is innocent (YAY!) But I am still uncertain and require confirmation...

cissy3 and catmother like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

His judgement is hugely impaired (what was he thinking by going into the nightclub) and I think he's trying to conceal something shady from his RUC years. He's desperate for that not to emerge.

So he will become a flawed hero but isn't H.

catmother and mothorchid like this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

A bit of a frustrating episode! Clearly,things are not as they seem. Ted is not H and is being framed or is it a whole set up (with only a few people in the know?) to smoke out the real H.
    So,forget about all what is happening in this episode and bring on the finale!

PS: still don't know who or what the McQueen woman is.

mothorchid likes this.
  14. mothorchid

Thank you, @grumpydogwoman and @catmother - I feel comforted.
    My idea is that Ted will Go Down next week and then Kate and Steve will exonerate him in series 6. There is clearly History hanging over his head from his time in the RUC.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

And why have the criminals chosen to dig the body parts out of the freezer and put them with John's body to be discovered together? They are harden criminals,so if they wanted to make a body disappear without a trace,they could. Clearly,they wanted those parts discovered. Why keep them in a freezer for years and why get them out now?

cissy3, minnie me and grumpydogwoman like this.
  16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would feel this if last night's episode was the last one in the series but next week's is 90 minutes,so I would want more to happen that Ted being send down (and obviously being framed!).

17. grumpydogwoman

You're not the only one. I can completely see that as the premise for another series. It'd be a cracking idea! I do think Ted's goose is cooked. For now.

mothorchid likes this.
  18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ted will always be my hero ! He went to the club I think to try to take control of the investigation and prove that AC 12 could get a major result ( having learnt that it ( case ) had been taken off him / team ) - make sense ?

cissy3 likes this.
  19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Steve / girlfriend scenario and Kate / husband scene I think very Jed ... just when you think both in the market for a bit of domestic bliss ? ... he pulls the rug ..,