1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Line of Duty 5 - there WILL be spoilers!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peapicker, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

More unanswered questions. Is Lisa working for Hastings? Hastings spelt definitely wrong, as well as telling Lisa to bring it to a close. When she asked what he meant, Hastings said “You know what I mean” and disconnected the call.

If Hastings is innocent, and I hope he is, then why didn’t he tell Steve and Kate about the money that he was given?

Another edge of the chair ending. Excellent tv drama.

catmother and LondonCanary like this.
  2. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Eek!

Slight tangent - do you think the spelling mistake is more obvious to a bunch of teachers (plus editors and anybody else that spends a lot of time proof checking) and are we making too much of it as a result? The a and the I are quite a long way apart on a keyboard so unlikely to be an accidental typo but is it one of the infamous red herrings/distractions...like separately, it is one of those words that gets misspelled a lot so it is believable that two different people could misspell the word...so who was the body in the freezer? (Sounds like a more horrific Agatha Christie novel) What's Anne-Marie got to do with anything? Have we heard of her before? Was it Corbett's wife who mentioned her too? Is Tatleen becoming Maneet V2? I thought somebody did know about the Hastings marital problems? Are all those glass walls sound-proofed? Is there anybody in AC12 who can lipread? Is it just me or is Kettle-bell complex a deeply odd name? Or have I misheard? Is there a link with series 1 - wasn't Jackie something to do with property? Are social services going to ever take an interest in that young man who is being cuckoo-ed? Wasn't there a connection between one of the OCG and whomever tortured Steve in whichever series it was and consequently wouldn't they recognise him? Wouldn't it be more effective to find which shop still sells balaclavas these days and wire tap it? Did we ever find out who the balaclava man who pushed Steve over the stairs was? I'm beginning to lose track! Are Sam and Steve going to get back together?

Yes, I'm distracting myself with trivia to avoid thinking about the upsetting-ness of that episode...

3. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

Woah, too many questions!! But I'll answer one: the body in the freezer is Jackie Laverty from Series 1.

mothorchid and catmother like this.
  4. TheOracleAtDelphi

Ok
    Okay takk, I just had a feeling somebody else said there was another body missing.
    Her throat was cut too, wasn't it? Is this some kind of signature move?

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

P.S. I know they warned us at the start about upsetting scenes but they didn't have the action line bit at the end, did they? Did they in previous years e.g. the abuse storyline?

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The misspelling of definitely is a hot topic of debate on Mumsnet too, so not just teachers.

I think Anne-Marie might have been Corbett's birth mother who died.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A throat slitting action line?

minnie me likes this.
  8. TheOracleAtDelphi

Ah, I thought that is what Tatleen had said but I was still trying to process the father's name and date and didn't quite catch the mother's...she also said something about being related but I didn't catch who - the people who adopted him and one of his birth parents?

Incidentally - another question - how do you think the wife is going to react? Go mad at the police or tell them the little she knows/has deduced?

9. TheOracleAtDelphi

:p :) That made me laugh at least...I was more refering to the human trafficking/rape aspects...I'm trying to remember whether it was included at the end of Shetland which also covered similar elements although separately...

InkyP likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's probably the thick Northern Irish cop who can't spell. It could never be an erudite English plod.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ha ! Laugh out loud moment - excellent !

12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

What's the link between Hastings and Corbett, from the past? What happened to Corbett's real parents? Much more to come on that angle methinks.

There was apparently a huge increase in people searching for spelling definitely after last night's episode.

catmother likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My husband thinks 'definately' is a code to identify the sender and Lisa is deep undercover handled by Hastings. Alternatively, it is a code which the techie woman who was analysing the messages had identified and Hastings was using deliberately.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think she undercover too.

15. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Too many questions!

I'm gutted about John. He'd crossed a line but he was fundamentally good. Lisa was obviously shaken though - I can't decide if she's a UCO but she's definitely been serving more than one master for a long time. Just not sure who the masters are.

The NI thing is a big twist... There's basically been a whole other storyline going on in the background. I think Hastings was maybe part of a cover up into John's parents deaths during the troubles in his younger days. Perhaps that's why he has an affinity with Steve, who obviously refused to be pressured into a cover up before being recruited to AC12. Maybe Hastings saw something in Steve that he wished he'd been in his own career.

I would like to know what Hastings is up to though... The money, the spelling of definately, visiting Lee Banks... There's so much going on. Did he order Corbett's death when he said he needed things bringing to a close?

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

We must maintain calm. When I was a child, we might watch a drama where some chap ended up dangling from a ledge just as the end credits came up. My dad told us that the chap had to hang there all week until the next episode.

The BBC will now start offering the next episode earlier than broadcast for £2.99 and then the final episode for £5.99.

17. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I’m still trying to work out why John fired the gun at the end. Thoughts?

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Did he shoot himself to end it quickly? I wasn't sure what direction he fired in.

19. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I thought he fired the gun away from himself (I could be wrong though). I wondered if he was trying to leave evidence but really not sure

20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I think the bullet will become a clue in his murder. It seemed to me to be a sort of spasm, rather than deliberate.
    Ted! No!
    That's all I can bring myself to say right now.

21. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I love love love all this speculation and I believe the writer is having a field day, feeding the conspiracy theorists.

All will be revealed, or at least as much as the writer wants us to see. :D

Piscean1, InkyP and bombaysapphire like this.