1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Line managing" the work of a member of SLT

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by b_m, Sep 18, 2011.

1. b_m

b_m New commenter

Hello all,
    I'm looking for tips from anyone who has a member of SLT in their teaching team, and who is meant to "line manage" that persons work whilst in the department.
    I have a Deputy Headteacher in my department, who, to put in bluntly, is known throughout the school as being a bit of a last minute wonder. Last year (when they were teaching in a different department), they didn't record any marks onto school systems, didn't mark any controlled assessment (the school paid a supply teacher to do it instead, and it all got marked down by the external moderator) and generally took a poor attitude in lessons (kids with MP3 players in etc).
    This year, they've already stated that they "don't have much time for marking" in an attempt to set out their stall early. To make matters a little more interesting, although I am HoD for the department in which they teach, they are the SLT line manager for the department- madness!
    Sooooo, any tips to help me keep things running along nicely and get the work done to a decent standard?
    Thanks!

2. b_m

b_m New commenter

Hello all,
    I'm looking for tips from anyone who has a member of SLT in their teaching team, and who is meant to "line manage" that persons work whilst in the department.
    I have a Deputy Headteacher in my department, who, to put in bluntly, is known throughout the school as being a bit of a last minute wonder. Last year (when they were teaching in a different department), they didn't record any marks onto school systems, didn't mark any controlled assessment (the school paid a supply teacher to do it instead, and it all got marked down by the external moderator) and generally took a poor attitude in lessons (kids with MP3 players in etc).
    This year, they've already stated that they "don't have much time for marking" in an attempt to set out their stall early. To make matters a little more interesting, although I am HoD for the department in which they teach, they are the SLT line manager for the department- madness!
    Sooooo, any tips to help me keep things running along nicely and get the work done to a decent standard?
    Thanks!

3. Hi b_m, I think you just need to take the bull by the horns on this one. In the short term you could have an honest conversation about the implications for students and the faculty when one colleague isn't following procedures. There's also the fact that members of SMT have responsibility to behave as a role model. In the long term, however, I'm not sure it's feasible to have this cyclical line management arrangement and this needs dealing with by someone higher. At the least they can explain the benefits of this arrangement and suggest solutions to this colleague's problems with following policies.

4. Keep it on a professional level, document/record all conversations, when looking at marking, look at everyone in the dept & record at your dept meetings (ensure minutes are taken) of who has completed & who is o/s. Do whole dept walk rounds & again record the good & the bad points back to all members. I would start a dialogue now with this person asking how they propose to not get into the same situation this years as last year, speak with them & follow up with a email/internal note, giving a deadline for their response. If no results I would then take it to the head.
    As a HOD do you have termly meetings with the head? - did you have a meeting with head re your results. At our school all HODs do & have to produce a report & action plan. You need to put the students first
    Our dept minutes are taken to SMT meetings (by line-manager) with action points noted.
    I think you will find most HODs have a SMT "teacher" in their department
    OJ

5. I read your post and thought that is exactly what happens at my school and all I ever get from the member of SMT is why aren't all the lesson plans and resources there for them and doesn't think they need to even plan their own lessons and this is for a GCSE class!

It is driving me up the wall but everyone knows they are a problem....

Sorry I can't help with any useful advice as nothing seems to work here....

Good luck

6. I posted about this last year. Had a member of SLT who did nothing. But then I got lucky. The person left, leaving a whole load of things undone but at least she is out of my hair.
    Log everything. I sent every request by email as the person was "so busy" Be very clear on deadlines and make sure everything is organised well beforehand
    You will find that others know that they SLT person does nothing. I also made a point of analysing GCSE and KS3 results by class so that they knew their results were being scrutinised- you would do it for everyone else to see if people are pulling thier weight. Why should SLT be different?
    Good luck! I know exactly how you must feel.