1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lincolnshire supply agencies

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by meganjackson2017, Feb 19, 2018.

1. meganjackson2017

meganjackson2017 New commenter

I just wanted some advice on how to choose a supply agency and if can sign up to more than one. Based in Lincoln so if anyone has specific local advice or just general does and don'ts when it comes to supply teaching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

I spent a year in the supply 'wilderness' in 2015 (so not an expert by any means) but if I were to have my time over (and that is a likely possibility) I would not go near supply agencies. I would email/mail/ drop in my CV to schools in the area. Supply agencies are a rip off, for both you and the school. Also, if you do want to go full time, perhaps a school wants to hire you full time, the agency will want a finders fee. The agency I was with wanted £10,000 from the school when they wanted me for a permanent post.

meganjackson2017 likes this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Teaching Personnel and Vision are widely used locally.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I can't comment on Lincoln but sign up with as many agencies as you can. Also splash out for a portable DBS, expensive (a little under £50 I think) which will facilitate signing up for them all. I've done okay from supply as one of my useless agencies comes through at any given time.
    Great idea if you can swing it but I tried the same and got nowhere via this route. You need to be able to target the schools' Cover Organiser so that when she picks up the phone she dials you. Not easy to do and very hard to compete against an agency that spends a lot of time keeping her sweet and can offer more bodies than just you. But you can always try this on any unemployed days.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Also haggle with the agencies as much as possible. The ideal teacher for an agency is one who'll work for peanuts but is so good the schools will pay top-dollar for.

Easy to say haggle hard to do but if you ever feel it's you or nobody or the school requests you then keep pushing the pay up.

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I used to be with 6. I played them off each other, on a first come first served basis. I always held out for as much as I could get. Anything extra, extra cash.It sounds mercenary, but you have to think of the lean tines too.
    I say was with 6, but now I only do the odd day here and there. [through choice], this due to IR35.
    So mu big piece of advice to you is: DO NOT GET TALKED INTO BEING PAID VIA AN UMBRELLA COMPANY. Get agencies to pay you via PAYE.
    You could also do as
    watermelongirl65 says, I used to as well, every so often I would send out my CV to all schools in the area, along with what I expected for my daily rate, I did pick up some work this way.
    However, it is harder for schools to employ you this way, as any casual staff has to have an IR35 questionaire done for them, this means a lot of office time for the school. Y ou could get the schools to offer you a zero hours contract and be paid through their payroll, for any supply done.
    As
    watermelongirl65 stated, the agencies are out to get as much as they can from the schools, and in the process, give you as little as they can get away with.

So my second piece of advice is be mercenary
    Learn phrases such as:

How much!..is that all!
    If you pay me extra for that distance I will go there
    Tey want me to do the planning, how much do I get for that?
    There are many more, but you need to make sure you have enough to fall back on, especially July to October, I never count September, as supply is usually very thin.

I said at the start I was with 6, I now do mainly dog walking, it is less stressful, no marking, no planning, but just like teaching the is plenty of S H I T to pick up, but I have plastic doggie poop bags for that.

All the best

7. meganjackson2017

meganjackson2017 New commenter

Thank you for your advice

8. Hi Megan

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]