1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Limescale

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sideshow, Mar 18, 2012.

1. DoI buy a new kettle or is there a way to get rid of the limescale. It is making my tea horrible tasting.

2. DoI buy a new kettle or is there a way to get rid of the limescale. It is making my tea horrible tasting.

3. There are a few 'kettle de-scalers' on sale, but I boil the kettle, empty it and put a table spoon of Viakal in; leave it 5 mins, give a rub with a dishcloth, rinse 3 or 4 time, then re-fill, boil, empty, re-fill, boil empty. Voila! Good as new!

4. sidey, invest in a water filter (Brita or similar). We live in an area with very hard water, but using filtered water in the kettle stops the limescale and also filters out the hideous taste of the chlorine that is added by our friends at Northumbrian water.
    Tea tastes great now. :)

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Don't waste your money on fancy descalers. Buy a bottle of white vinegar. Put in kettle. Bring to boil and leave a few hours. Rinse out, boil again with fresh water and job done.
    Then use filtered water as Manashee suggests.

6. Use a brush inside fairly regularly, can be awkward but does the job!

7. I tried the vinegar one once, and the whole house stank of vinegar for days!

I bought some tablet ones from the pound shop the other day, and they do a great job in only a few minutes, and no nasty smells. My kettle now looks like new. There are 4 in a pack, so good value too.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry, I live in Brum. What is limescale?

PS The vinegar works, I don't think you even need to boil it, just leave for a bit. If you don't like the smell buy some Tartaric Acid (Tescos sell it also available from other reputable retailers) and put a solution of that in your kettle/dishwasher/washing machine/loo.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Citric acid works well too but it increasingly difficult to get hold of for some reason.
    You don't need to boil the vinegar but it works faster if it is hot.......................come on Blazer, you should know that!

10. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Just buy very cheap kettles and throw them away every so often. (not very Green, I know)