1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lime band

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sjw2007, Jun 11, 2008.

1. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

2. Don't know if you still need it but maybe omeone else will. I found characteristics of lime, ruby, sapphire levels on a website for Pearson Australia.

3. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridging-Bands-Guided-Reading-KS2/dp/0854736905/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319217548&sr=1-2
    might help you

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've got to ask - who searches for a 3 year old thread just to help out on book banding?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

On two threads!!!!!

6. Maybe someone who is going crazy trying to sort out old resources because there's no money for new stuff? (Got the t-shirt. Ugh.)

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Lime, ruby, sapphire ---------- why bother banding books at this point. The children can read well enough at this level to choose books with a bit of adult help that they will enjoy and that are not too difficult ........ they can read the first two or three pages to themselves to see if it is too hard or not.
    What they need is inspiration to read more, and read more widely, and read to themselves so they can get the reading hours in without it having to involve an adult all the time, and speed up their reading.
    If my child still had to choose from books banded at school by that level of reading I would shoot myself. Save yourself a chore!!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The books are levelled to develop higher order reading skills mystery
    for example a Ruby level book
    understand
    how writers use different
    structures to create
    coherence and impact

understand
    underlying themes,
    causes and points of
    view

integrate
    words, images and
    sounds imaginatively for
    different purposes

the type of skills taught in secondary English Literacy lessons
    they are "text books" and using them does not prevent children choosing to read other texts for pleasure. Unfortunately many parents want to race through reading schemes without realising they are teaching tool with a specific purpose. This idea is often encouraged by schools who label children "free readers" half way through reception in an attempt to please and impress parents.

9. I really should start looking at the dates before I reply, I hadn't even noticed that!

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

With such a huge range of books within one colour band, how does that work?

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I pick the book not the child