1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lil's handy household hints

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. save money on Andrex, because as all children know, little cardboard tubes are toilet roll seeds. if you leave them on the holder all night they'll grow into a new roll.

2. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

always check wellington boots for dead mice placed there by cat for safe keeping.

1 person likes this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Never vacuum up the end of a toilet roll.

4. silkywave

always seal up well any bags of dried beans and lentils before you lob them in the cupboard to avoid the cascade effect later.

5. Always underestimate the amount of crumbs found in a toaster. Always empty said toaster into sink, remarking at the amount of crumbs in a light hearted manner. Always leave sink plug hole blocked by mushy, wet crumbs for other half to sort out when he gets home.

6. Wababs
    I have found that sneezing several times loudly and forcefully while holding said toaster pre-empts the necessity of the sink altogether and has the double delight of showering your clothes and hair with black crumbs.

7. silkywave

when visitors turn up an hour early, tidy up by throwing everything into bedroom and lock door.

8. Make sure you only change your child's bed the day before they are sick all over it at midnight. Then change the bed again before the child is sick a second time. That way you will have no clean bedlinen to put on.

9. silkywave

don't forget to carry on hoovering up the needles from the christmas tree............

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Make sure the cous cous packet is securely closed before shutting it in a high up cupboard.

11. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

When you get home from school and have made a sumptuous spaghetti bolognaise for your hungry family, leave it on the stove and go to the gym just so that you can let the cats have first go at it before the family get back...

12. Leave your passport somewhere you will never remember to look again whilst repeating the following phrase firmly "I must put that somewhere safe later on". Only remember where you forgot to put it the night before your flight. This will take your mind off worrying about who to ask to look after the cat/dog/goldfish while you are away.

13. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Oh Rose, that's so clever. I find, in a similar vein, that to forget where you keep your service history when you go to the garage works wonders. I have 3 years of perfect services (todays cost me £234) which are magically not recorded anywhere should I wish to sell the car...

14. silkywave

noja - smart thinking.

leave your ironing in the basket until you completly run out of clothes and it is definitely dry.
    then dampen with hot coffee.

15. Always disengage brain when acting on handy hints...
    After painting your nails dip your fingers in a basin of cold water as it makes them dry quicker... if you're after an interesting pattern on your towels then after removing your hands from the water instead of letting them dry by the wonder of evaporation, dry them with a bath towel. The newer the towel the fluffier our nails will appear!

16. When vacuuming with your bagless vacuum cleaner, always remove dust compartment while still in the room you have just vacuumed, making sure you shake most of what you just vacuumed up back onto the carpet as you do so.

17. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

can I have a real household hint?

how do i get the kitchen sink looking clean again, as the steal draining boards just wont come 'clean' after using any house hold cleaner

18. Hello chick. Try 'Barkeeper's Friend' available from Kleeneze. Your sink will sparkle like new. xx

19. silkywave

washing powders often work gelf

20. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

trying to say I smell :p

on the sink silky? really?