1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Likely implication of disastrous KS2 SATs?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CarrieV, May 12, 2011.

1. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

At best, helpful LEA advisors and SIPs breathing down your neck at every opportunity, at worst OFSTED!
    I have nightmares about floor targets[​IMG]

2. Jun

Jun New commenter

The OP could be me, well apart from the supply bit! So gutted with how my kids seemed to perform compared to their usual work!

However, haven't most LEAs made their consultants redundant? So who will there be to breathe down our necks?

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We still have some consultants swanning around, hopefully we won't need them this year!

4. poet

poet New commenter

No SIPs but SIA school improvement advisor...

5. jondabell

jondabell New commenter

I need to take time to reflect carefully, but I really think I might hand my notice in before end of the half term. Ihave a family and a baby on the way in July. I want to enjoy them. Not be working all day at work, then coming home and working all night at home next year for a group of kids who don't really care how they do in tests. I truly feel that I'd be happier filling shelfs at Tesco through the night. At least once I've clocked out my time is my own to do family stuff and make sure my own kids at least grow up to be responsible, intelligent and resourceful!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Ours are called called School Improvement Partners-different name, same traits!

7. poet

poet New commenter

Yep our SIP is a partner now but a SIA come
    September. Same name same pressure different day... :)

8. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

There are far too many variables in this to get a straightforward answer.
    In terms of OFSTED, who knows what next year's schedule will say and how schools will be treated, or whether your school will be inspected before results go back up again. Two concerning markers under the present inspection regime would be either a falling trend over the last three years, or 2 of 3 years below floor targets.
    Floor targets now have two parts: 65%+ L4 En & Ma combined AND below average rates of progression. If this cohort underperformed at KS1 - ie they were only ever meant to get the 62% you are predicting, then you have NOT missed floor targets. If I remember correctly, "average" progress rates were 87% En and 86% Ma (or the other way round).
    With regard to your LA, it largely depends on how much resources they have left to support challlenging schools. I can't think who is going to do it in our small LA from now on because there is practically no one there. If your LA has relatively few underperfoming schools, you might be identified for support. Whether that is a good or bad thing will depend on who is supporting you!
    In terms of your head/career, I would hope that they would recognise that you have created value-added with this cohort (ie they have made better than expected progress in Y6 if they have gone from 35% on track to 62%), where others have failed.
    In short, any savvy head should be able to see that these results are not down to you, and if the school is targeted for support/intervention, that is targeted towards those year groups lower down where there is a problem.
    After several years in Year 6, I have come to the conclusion that you are much more likely to notice the mistakes when wandering around the room. I still remember one rather inconsistent child I taught (scoring anything from 3b to 4a in Maths on practice tests). Every time I walked past them, they were busy making a mistake ... I must have seen 10. They were, however, almost the only 10, and the child left with a L5! On the flip side, I've had children whose writing looked brilliant on passing, but came back at L3 (picky marker!). You really don't know until you get the results.
    Having said all that, I would tell your HT of your concerns. The one year our results were not as hoped ... 37% L4 writing, went up massively after remarking ... it was an extremely uncomfortable conversation when we'd been telling the HT everything was fine.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Was this how you felt this time last year? Remember how you felt in September with no money coming in. You really do need to think carefully, next autumn you might not be so lucky and end up very poorly off with new baby as well.

10. jondabell

jondabell New commenter

"In terms of OFSTED, who knows what next year's schedule will say and how schools will be treated, or whether your school will be inspected before results go back up again. Two concerning markers under the present inspection regime would be either a falling trend over the last three years, or 2 of 3 years below floor targets."

The problem is that next year's cohort are even worse. Then we'll be over it, with a good set of current Year 4's, Year 3's and Year 2's. But I was hoping to paper the cracks this year, so that we'd only have one **** cohort, as opposed to two in consecutive years.
    The frustrating bit is that we already know how it'll pan out. Advisors can come and advise till the cows come home. Next year's lot will bomb out, then the results will pick up and it'll be rosy for a while till another freak "low cohort" come along again. I don't need loads of bigwigs swarming around, and hours of extra work per week, just to figure out something that's plain as day!!!!

11. How important are SATs results? Try this (anecdotal, but there you go):
    School A had an OfSted recently. School A is really improving and has a top-quality staff who work all hours. Its children come in barely able to speak, a large number are EAL and the local area is economically depressed. The school has worked wonders to get to 65% level 4. OfSted verdict? "We're dead impressed, but we can't give better than satisfactory as the SATs results are too low." When the HT points out the enormous progress the children are making, OfSted say "tough, we don't make the rules"("we'll be back soon and you won't get "good" unless your test results are 80%+)
    School B is in leafy suburbs,5 miles away from School A. School B has not had OfSted in a long time as it gets 100% L4. It probably won't see OfSted again. The children come from wealthy, affluent homes and start school in nursery already far ahead of school A. Home tutoring means staff at School B don't need to work hard at all.
    Forget quality teaching, ECM, or a broad/balanced curriculum. "Tests" is all. What is the result of disasterous SATs scores?..
    The system's a joke. Either make OfSted fair or scrap it.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Ever since Ofsted and SATs started i have said scrap them..they are both rubbish!

13. Please quote references

14. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

OFSTED Schedule - Attainment: "The general pattern of overall attainment indicators for the final key stage over the last three years has been significantly below average, as indicated in Raise Online" = unsatisfactory
    OFSTED Schedule - Improvement: "Attainment is low and shows little sign of improvement" = unsatisfactory achievement.
    Clearly I can't quote the fact that we don't know what the 2011 schedule will bring.