1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Likelihood of being made to take on a class when part time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lily_w, Nov 15, 2015.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

I made the decision earlier this year to leave full time classroom teaching for several reasons and I was much happier and less stressed. I have recently been approached by a former colleague who asked if I would be interested in a part time role teaching interventions and doing occasional cover. I would be contracted to the school and that is the part I'm quite unsure about.

I would like this role but I'm unsure how long it would be funded for. In my experience, part time teachers who are not class based are often forced into classroom-based positions long term. This is usually due to the current problems with teacher recruitment/retention in my area and I have seen it happen to several colleagues. The last thing I want is for this job to start out as teaching intervention groups then ending up as a classroom teacher again due to whole school circumstances. As the school currently has a lot of NQTs, I'm worried that I will end up being told to take on a class next year, as I would be one of their most experienced teachers and the SLT have made it clear they want to build up experience within the school.

Is it worth the risk? I would be interested in hearing from people who work part time, or people who work in a non class-based role.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think you need to be discussing this with your potential employer. You can't use other people's ideas as each situation is unique.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It would depend a lot on how the contract was worded.

4. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Thanks - yes, there's still a lot of information I don't know. The school will be sending me a job description soon so I will need to look at that and take into account the wording they use. Although this isn't the contract, it would still be important to give a general idea of what they might expect in the future.

5. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

You are right to be wary. I was part-time PPA/Intervention teacher in my last job. A teacher left mid year and I found out that I was one of 3 people taking over her class when I read the new term's timetable.
    It obviously included planning etc. I would have liked to have been asked at least! It wasn't what I signed up for but had to go along with it. I hope you can get some reassurance up front that they will honour your decision to only teach what you agreed to at the outset. The other option is to do the job on supply.
    The remuneration is a lot less but you do have the freedom to leave should problems arise.