1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Likelihood of being accepted for postgrad primary teaching?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by xlx_catrina_xlx, Jan 7, 2020.

1. xlx_catrina_xlx

xlx_catrina_xlx New commenter

Hi.

Firstly sorry for the long post.

I'm currently off on maternity and having a total rethink of my career. I currently have my own business (ecommerce website which I sell wallpaper through).

My previous qualifications in order of completion-

Higher English and Int 2 maths (which are needed for the course)

HNC Administration & IT

Community development & youth work SVQ

Social Science degree (3 year course not honors)

Pgde Careers guidance and development

I have worked in secondary schools while on my placements during the community development and the careers guidance post grad courses. It was during my first placement that I decided I'd like to become a careers advisor.

I'd been told I should become a teacher but having seen the role of the schools careers adviser I thought that her job was perfect for me. Little did I know her job was my cup of tea mainly because she had a great relationship with the enterprise and employability teacher whom I worked under. She'd go on outings with us and be very involved in lots of other school activities. She also worked with another careers advisor and they had their own base.

This was not the case with any other career advisors on the postgraduate placement. Their roles were actually very isolating and they were usually the only careers advisor in that school, often working from a very small room/ cupboard.

By the time I'd finished the postgrad my business which I'd started during the course of my undergraduate degree had boomed. I did go for an interview for a careers advisor position but flunked it. Maybe because I wasn't fully in it? Or deep down I didn't want to look back and think what if I'd really made something with that business? I knew that I could make more money being self employed at that time and was very wounded from the failed interview. So it made sense at the time to continue with the business.

Right now my partner is running the business for me while I'm on maternity allowance. I've had a realisation that I want a long term career. I want stability, paid holidays, paid maternity leave, a pension and work colleagues. Running a business on your own puts a lot of pressure and uncertainty on your shoulders. Even more so with a child and a mortgage to pay.

Teaching has always been in the back of my mind but I'd always thought I wouldn't have been good enough to be a teacher. I never had the confidence to take it on. But I feel like now is the time! And I'm 100% motivated and determined to get in to this course.

So my question is do you think that I'd be accepted? I know I need to build up experience which I'm going to do. The course starts in August and I'll be phoning up local schools this week to ask for some voluntary experience. I'm also going through the free online courses on the open learn website trying to gain as much knowledge on education as I can in my free time while the baby naps.

Hoping for some positivity but honest opinions please.

(Thank you so much if you actually read all of that. Sorry for babbling.)

2. xlx_catrina_xlx

xlx_catrina_xlx New commenter

Ps my name/ email is my very old email linked to my Facebook which I signed in through so please don't judge me on that .

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Not sure where to start.

Teaching is extremely time consuming. You say you want "paid holidays" - well, you only have to look at some threads on the forums to know that most teachers spend a fair chunk of time working over holidays. The six weeks in the Summer is brilliant - but there is the factor that friends who are not teachers are not about.

You say you want work colleagues - Primary can be a non-stop rush from 8.30 to 3pm (or later) and there are times when you see no-one who is an adult in the course of a day - you're either teaching, doing extra-curricular, or tidying up/prepping.

You say you want to teach Primary - I would really look into the different key stages and find out which KS you're most likely to want to teach. Go onto the Primary forum, and ask.

What really concerns me is that you write of how you were "really wounded" by a failed interview. Teaching can be a series of failures in a day - a student who won't behave, despite encouragement, a student who doesn't finish their tasks, a complaining parent, or a difficult colleague. If you really want to teach, I would stop looking at it as a string of financial perks - holidays, pay, pension - and look into the reality. It can be extremely stressful, lonely, and demoralising. It can also be the best job in the world. But I would really think hard about what you really want from it.

4. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Your talk of being wounded from the interview worried me too. I’m in the midst of my secondary science PGCE, thoroughly enjoying it and finding it a lot less stressful and all encompassing than I’d expected, but I think my bench Mark is a bit wonky due to previous jobs.

but, every day there are challenges, “failures” as they could be perceived, children, even nearly adult children, are full of challenges and disruption at times. But, there are as many positives, often from the very same children. You do need a pretty thick skin and to be able to wipe the slate clean and start again next lesson, with the same high expectations and positivity regardless of last lesson.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

IF you enjoy being a carers adviser and think it is the perfect job for you, then teaching primary is not a logical step. It is a completely different job and there is absolutely nothing in your post that gives any indication you know anything about primary teaching, have any desire to be a primary teacher, have any of the required knowledge to be a primary teacher, would enjoy it in any way at all.

Being a career adviser to (presumably) mostly KS4/5 pupils is a whole different job to teaching 4 year olds to read!

Maybe get some voluntary work experience in a primary school first and see how you get on.

agathamorse and VickyCat like this.
  6. helloteaching2019

helloteaching2019 New commenter

I’m currently doing a PGCE primary and have a degree similar to you, Social Welfare and Community Studies. At interview they are looking for passion and how you are with the children and it sounds like you’ve got plenty of transferable skills :) good luck!!