1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lightning and tellies.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Aug 25, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Do you turn your telly off and unplug the aerial?
    We're having a whopper here in brum - glad I decided not to go into town!
    I lost a bedroom window in the earthquake [some years ago and a week before I was due to have new ones fitted] and am now somewhat superstitious about ending up with a hole in my roof. Sad but true.

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I don't. It's not something we've ever done.
    I just asked husband (who used to be a TV engineer) about it. He said that you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get struck by lightening and it usually goes for church towers because they are high up.
    He thinks that more modern houses have a something or other (I've forgotten what he said) to protect them from lightening blowing up their electrical devices but he's not sure.
    I don't know if this puts your mind at ease or not.

3. We had four thunder claps that bounced off each other....it took the tv ,computer and internet out. the tv restarted immediately. I. had to manually restart the pc but virgin internet is still out.
    The houses down in the village have lost power altogether.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thanks for the replies. I'll always remember a storm that lasted for twelve hours [there was no wind and the sea was like a millpond] in Normandy in 1995. Two people were killed on the beach, our local shop had a hole shot through its roof while my dad was in it, and it seemd like a quarter of the houses in the nearby town had blue tarps over their roofs the following day. Since then I've been cautious.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

We use surge protection devices to protect our IT, never been activated though so can't vouch for how good it is.
    As to chances of a strike on any particular house, I suppose it depends where you live. Isolated houses with rooftop aerials must be more vulnerable than an individual house in an estate.

What a well timed thread - half way through typing and the heavens opened and I can hear thunder! We have scaffolding up on three sides so I might yet be able to review the surge protectors.

6. Normandy storms are legendary. I was once in a thunderstorm that lasted seven hours....no gentle rumbles either - these were thunderclaps and on another occasion a whirlwind cut a swathe through the area dropping hailstones the size of apples and ripping roofs off houses. The car looked like a cheesegrater......actually, that must have been in 1995.

7. tidal

tidal New commenter

It is statistically extremely unlikely to get a direct strike and most damage is caused by transient power surges either through inductance or through strikes on power lines. In the UK most power systems trip before damage is done, but I personally use very high quality (and price) surge protectors on all supplies to delicate electronics...... Mind you I've been out in the middle of the north sea in a thunderstorm on a boat with a very tall METAL mast held up with METAL wires so I take a comparitively laid back view of such weather onshore.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

We were at the top end of Mont St Michel Bay, on the Normandy side. My son was 40 miles up the coast at Carteret, where they had high winds and rough seas but no thunder.
    I was sitting on the rocks with some other people, enjoying the amazing storm over Cancale and St Malo. We didn't notice that it had gathered like an embrace all around us. Suddenly there was a sound like a bull whip, amplified a hundred times. The lightning had struck the rocks beside us.I found myself clutching the arm of the person sitting next to me. We all moved pretty fast back to safety!
    It was low tide at the time and the poor people who died had been digging up cockles for their supper. Apparently, it was their metal jewellery that did for them.

9. I switch off/unplug the TV if the thunder is VERY close but not otherwise.
    Whilst the chances of our houses being struck are slim I have three friends who've had direct strikes to their houses and I was almost struck when teaching in a porta-classroom 10 years ago.
    My Grandma used to switch everything off, cover all of the mirrors and hide in the understairs cupboard when there was a storm. A bit OTT I think!

We've had storms all morning and our lawns are still white with hailstones from an hour ago.

10. Woo hoo....the thunder has arrived here now and the rain is coming down in stair rods!
    Inky....you had a lucky escape! The storms I was talking about were near St Lo where my parents lived at the time.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Wow! We've had no hail. The storm I mentioned in my last post destroyed our friends' conservatory roof. Yes - the hailstones were like golf balls.

12. Glad ours weren't that big! Ours were about the size of a small marble/marrowfat pea. Our road was flooded too and therefore my garage has got soggy. One advantage of the very heavy rain is that it has washed off the huge bird poo that was on the rear window of my car [​IMG]

13. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

A tip for your ribs, inx. Don't breathe shallowly just because deep breaths hurt a bit. You'll mend better if you keep breathing normally.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thanks, markuss. Sneezing's the worst. Waking up's not much fun either because I turn on them in my sleep.
    I turned on the telly this morning and there's still no sound, so I'm going to bit the bullet and trry to set up the little flat screen one. Clueless! Back to London today, so there won't be a blank screen to torment me.
    By the way, the tv licensing authority people have asked mr inky to phone them. They refuse to believe that we don't have one!
    I hope you're having a lovely summer.

15. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I'd like to thank markuss, too. I also have broken and bruised ribs and have been really anxious about my breathing.
    How do you get to sleep, Inky? If you have any tips to get comfortable enough I'd be grateful.
    I haven't sneezed but having the hiccoughs was pretty sore and If I find anything funny I stop laughing pretty quickly.
    I hope things are getting more comfortable for you.
    PS I have also damaged electrical equipment by not switching off during a thunderstorm - I didn't realise it was right overhead until too late.

16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lightning bolts hit our street, spectacular but terrifying, and the next door neighbour's TV set on fire! Our phones and internet were out for days.