1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lighter Life (sorry to post again)

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by katherinelily, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi. I'm wondering if anybody has done this type of diet before. It seems similar to slim fast but without the meal, in other words just shakes and soups but all nutrition is in them.

From my perspective it is good because it promises fast results. I was 11 stone 5 pounds last summer (I am around 5 foot 3 inches) and I was told to lose weight as that would help us to have a baby. I did weight watchers and lost nearly a stone but I have gained it and more. I'm so cross with myself. I love snacks and eat things like cookies and crisps. I feel like I have let myself and my husband down. He is a little overweight but at his height carries it well and looks beefy rather than fat as I fear I do. I'm now 11 stone 12 and apart from wanting a baby I also don't want to look this fat for summer weddings and I'd love to wear a bikini.

The person at lighter life seemed to think it would help break my emotional relationship with food. I am just wondering if anyone else has done it? Thank you.

2. Sorry I am on my phone, it seems it does not want to include my paragraphs!

3. They would say that, wouldn't they? If you do a search you will see that the feeling on here is pretty much against it, but there are lots of people on diets who are full of good stories and tips as well as ryvita.
    I know someone on it who ended up with a kind of immune deficiency thing, not necessarily connected but it was a bit of a coincidence.

4. I also think that you are probably not fat - maybe bigger than you would like but not fat.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I've posted my opinion on this sort of Very Low Calorie Diet before so I won't repeat myself for fear of angering anyone.
    However, I will just direct you here: http://www.lighterlife.com/how_it_works/faqs/can_you_lose_hair.aspx

and sugest that you spend some time looking through the other FAQs which, I personally think, are very flimsily addressed (especialy regarding putting the weight back on, gaining the correct nutrition and medical risks of eating so little.
    Finally, I personally think that if one has problems with emotional eating and/or a poor relationship with food then removing food altogeter from your diet is probably not the best way to deal with the issues.

6. Yes, I've been on the website, thank you for the link. There doesn't seem to be anything too remarkable, unless I'm not picking up on something. I shed hair when I did weight watchers as well in fact; I've always had hair that seems to fall out quite easily.
    I know what you mean about putting it back on, but the problem is I think you can with any diet - as unfortunately I have shown. I am really annoyed with myself. I suppose I just want to lose the weight I've put on quite quickly and this seems one of the best ways. I've no idea how to break that emotional relationship with food, I think many of us have it - it should be worth a shot.
    Gorgy, thank you. I know a lot of people are bigger but I'm still so uncomfortable just now at around a size 16.

7. Hey there, haven't done this diet myself but I'm sure I've seen somewhere that you should only do this diet if you have more than 3 or 4 stones to lose, I'm sure you don't need to lose that much to feel more comfortable. I've recently gone from about 11 stone to just under 10 and feel absolutely brilliant and wouldnt really want to lose any more. I would also think that as soon as you stop with the shakes/soups and start to eat 'normally' again (even healthily) you will pile the weight back on.
    This probably hasn't been much help, sorry! Hope you start to feel better about yourself soon xx

8. fantastischfish

I guess for me it's the vague glossing over of every potential health risk with the "as happens when losing weight" which is just wrong. It is not usual when losing weight to reduce your metabolic rate (as the LL website claims) and nor is it normal to feel cold as a result of healthy and sensible weight loss. They are saying this to gloss over the fact that eating a very low calorie diet is not good for your body in any way, even if you are getting your RDA of all the nutrients your body requires.
    The LL people recommend taking it easy with exercise, even if you exercise regularly before starting an LL diet. This, to me, suggests that LL does not provide the necessary energy for exercising and the risk of becoming light-headed or suffering an injury is higher. And 'diet' that has this effect is dangerous.
    Finally, having been the 'victim' of using lots of different diets and someone who had a very difficult relationship with food (emotional eater, ate even when not hungry, ate past the point of being full etc) I am a firm believer that the art of losing weight must be in learning to have better relationships with and understanding of food.
    In short, most people are overweight as a reuslt of poor habits and psychological/emotinoal reasons relating to food. If these are not corrected then the cycle will just continue.
    Plus, I just can't advocate any diet that doesn't involving eating actual food.

Having said all of that, if it's what you want to do then go for it and good luck.

9. Thank you. I don't need to lose 3 stone but I suppose I could technically lose 4 stone and get down to 7 stone 12 and still be a healthy weight for my height which I think is how it's worked out - I wouldn't want to lose this much though. I'd be happy to lose 2 stone.
    I think I will give it a try - it's expensive but will be worth it if I lose weight and have a healthier attitude towards food and eating.

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I totally agree with this. I don't see how cutting out food completely will help you have a better relationship with eating. Especially if you only have 1 or 2 stone to lose.
    I know you want fast results, but if you do something like lighter life i expect the weight will come on again once you start eating normally again, and it will just mess up your metabolism. With exercise you will speed up your metabolism.
    I find the best way to lose weight is to eat sensibly and exercise, and make it part of your lifestyle rather than a quick fix. It took me nearly a year to lose just over 3 stone for my wedding in 2008, and then i had a baby and after lost it all over again (despite going to the gym and eating healthily in pregnancy i still gained weight [​IMG] ) and i've just had another baby and am in exactly the same position all over again! I plan on going back to the gym (which will be harder now with a toddler and a baby) but i'll do it, and i'll be careful with what I eat. I expect it to take me a while. I'm a bridesmaid in April so i need to be looking good by then!

11. Congratulations on your baby, Chica. I'm sure you look lovely.
    It isn't the cutting out food, but the group support on offer I am really interested in, if I'm honest. I did Weight Watchers last year and it did work, but so slowly (perhaps because I don't have loads to lose) I found myself getting discouraged - for instance for four weeks I lost one pound at a time, then had a bad week and gained two! Frustrating.
    I'm really keen to have a good summer and start my new job looking good, I suppose.

12. fantastischfish

*faints.....*
    That IS what's supposed to happen though Chicam lol! [​IMG] I don't think anyone could quesiton your commitment to the cause, so don't feel bad! Plenty of time til April. The joys of having a new-born AND a toddler means you'll probably be a size 10 by August because you won't actually get chance to eat two bites of anything before it goes cold! (Good luck with that by the way...)

13. fantastischfish

Without getting on anyone's nerves, can I politely suggest that you try looking at the thread on this forum (NOT started by me, by the way before anyone jumps down my throat) regarding the Paul McKenna method of weight loss.
    It isn't a diet, per se, and I've personally found that I lose weight quickly if I follow the 'rules' correctly and concentrate on what I'm eating. As someone who has struggled with emotional eating and comfort eating, I can honestly say that the PM mentality helped rid me of many of the bad habits I'd acquired regarding food. Althought it's not perfect, it made more sense to me than WW, LL or any other type of diet. It seems like you've had a similarly tumultuous time of things lately so maybe it could help?
    If you are interested, come and have a look/do some research. Many people believe it won't work because of phrases such as "eat when you are hungry" and "eat whatever you want" and "throw away the cardboard rice cakes". But it might be right for you, so maybe worth checking out?
    And there's always group support on the Paul McKenna thread AND the other weight loss threads that are around no matter what method you choose.
    Good luck with it.

14. fantastischfish

Last post directed to the OP, by the way. Don't think it was clear.
    Eva x x x

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Haha exactly! Maybe I should charge people to come and babysit as a kind of weight loss programme! Who needs boot camp?
    One of my friends did some weight loss thing where they kind of discuss attitudes to food, kind of like counselling, as well as follow a diet plan, and she said it was helpful because all her problems were in her head (she was right, because she looked great). I can't remember what it was called, but she paid £30 a month for the privilege. Personally, i'd rather spend that on personal training!
    I have eaten very little calories in the past, but never less than 1000, and i couldn't do a meal replacement thing, it would drive me mad!
    Having children has made me more aware of my attitude to food and i want them to grow up without negative attitudes, and eating a balanced diet, and exercising. So they need to see me doing it!
    My friend who's getting married is 5 foot 10 and a size 10 and will look stunning so i need to make an effort! Can't do much about my height (5'6) apart from some big heels!

16. Thank you. I have got the book and CD funnily enough but haven't listened to them.
    I have to admit I was put off by seeing a youtube video where Paul McKenna used the emotional freedom technique. I had someone try to use this on me once and I found it nonsense and embarrassing.

17. I'm quite worried that LL are prepared to put you onto their scheme when you only need to lose about 2 stone.
    If ot is emotional support you want then there is a group called Overeaters Anonymous (or something similar - I'm sure a bit of googling would find them). I've not been but I looked into it as my overeating was emotional and I knew I needed help to break bad habits. From what I can remember this group if free to join and attend.
    I never went because I feel I have just about sorted out my emotional eating. I'm 5ft 2 and at the start of this year I weighed 12st 2. I'm now down to 10st 5 and the weight loss has been slow but consistent (there have only been 2 weeks this year when I gained weight). I've changed my lifestyle rather than going for a quick fix and I'm confident the weight will stay off. And looking back, 6 months isn't bad for loosing nearly 2 stone.
    My support came from the thread about wanting to lose ~3 stone. I'm most of the way there and think that by the end of October at the latest I will have got to my goal.
    LL might seem like a good way of losing the weight you want but it won't help you learn to eat a normal portion of healthy food. I know several people who have done LL and as soon as they had finished they went back to their old way of eating and so went back up their old weight (and sometimes more) too.

18. Isn't Overeaters Anonymous the Christian organization? If so I don't think it is for me. Thanks, though.

19. I don't remeber the stuff I saw about OA having any sort of christian slant but I never went in the end so wouldn't know for definite. Thankfully something seems to have 'clicked' for me and I'm now slowly losing weight in a way that seems sustainable and permanent.

20. fantastischfish

Not too much effort though! You don't want to overshadow the bride! She WILL kill you lol.