1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Light Up Christmas Cards

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by stacers_1985, Oct 20, 2011.

1. I teach year 4 and as part of our 'light' topic would like to make light up christmas cards. Has anybody done this? If so, would it be too difficult for year 4 children?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I think it's a bit of a challenge for kids of any age to do successfully, but I wouldn't want to dismiss the concept behind your project out of hand.
    A couple of years ago, I viewed an exhibition of using light in different ways. For example some of it was direct, some difussed, some reflected, some intended to produce high contrast and so on.
    How about introducing these type of concepts into your Christmas cards instead? You can get mirrored card for highlights, translucent films to create the impression of diffusion and by building in 3D elements into the card, you can get contrast.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

M&S do lightup Christmas cards (or at least they have in the past) there are also some balloons that light up, if you take those apart you could analyse and then look at ways of mimicking light like the above poster said if you decide its too difficult? TBH alot on my Y8 struggled with pop up cards never mind ones that light up... x

4. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

In fairness, its not massively difficult to make a small flashing light in a card. All you need is a battery and a couple of flashing LEDs (the LEDs have an internal circuit which makes them flash, so no complicated circuit boards are needed) I rekon it'd be fairly easy to do the connections with self adhevsive copper. I've got a "free lesson" today, i'll have a fiddle and post some pics (if its succesful)

pedro.

5. I think, if I was doing this, I'd be tempted to do a single LED (maybe as the "star" on top of the christmas tree or similar), and use wires that have been run through tin foil to create nice wide connections... You could use a really simple push switch system so that if someone pressed a specific point, it would light the LED. I've done a similar thing with a paper based question and answer board that was aimed at completing with year 5 and 6 - they did it, but we took a LONG time over it. I can dig out the details and possibly the templates if you're interested?

6. Thank you everybody for your responses.
    That would be great misspixie9 if you have them. my e-mail is stace_16uk@hotmail.com x