1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Light fruit cake recipe please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by susanrk, Nov 21, 2019.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'd love to make a Christmas cake but don't like the boozy dark ones that are traditional. Can someone give me a recipe for a lighter one please. I like the marzipan and icing just not the cake!!

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I make some very good Christmas themed muffins-it's a basic muffin batter flavoured with cinnamon,ginger and clove. I use golden sugar, not brown, not white,and corn oil, not solid fat. The magic comes with small cubes of marzipan and apple inside . Dust in flour before adding to mix, then bake. When cool, drizzle thinnish Royal Icing over the top, as much or as little as you like.
    They taste Christmas cakey, but they don't have the meaty heft of dried fruit or the dark colour and stodge of a proper cake. If you wanted the cake for many people, make many of them
    I suppose there's a cheffy realm I don't inhabit which allows you to tower these up into a Xmas tree shape-ta da, unified into quasi Christmas cake. Only thing is, it's not the sort of cake you make in advance and store in a tin...

primarycat likes this.
  3. susanrk

They sound lovely. Thank you.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Delia has a light Christmas cake recipe.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/cake-recipes/light-christmas-cake

I've made a Genoese sponge, sandwiched with butter cream, buttercream round sides then rolled in dessicated coconut coloured with red or green food colouring (easy, coconut in bowl 2 drops of colouring mix with a metal spoon). The top is a disc of dried fondant icing then painted with food colouring in a Christmassy way, eg holly leaves, snow scene etc.

susanrk likes this.
  5. susanrk

Thank you.