1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

light and shadows

Discussion in 'Science' started by Princessk24, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Hello everyone i am wondering if i can get help from someone. I am teaching light and shadows this term and since the weather is not very funny for the experiments, what experiment can i do inside the building to demonstrate how shadows change position (the sun's movements).

Thanks

2. Sorry if this sounds a bit "secondary".
    Give the pupils a light (mains lamp or torch?) and a vertical marker (pencil?) with a protractor (paper version?).
    Shine light from 0, 20, 40 deg etc - mark shadow. This shows progression of the Sun from E to W (really its the Earth rotating W-E!).
    Make a cardboard(?) curve to represent the height of the Sun above the horizon (as it "goes" E-W: highest at S). Shine the torch from similar positions - see the shadow shorten at mid-day.
    If you like "grand designs", do it in the Hall with a theatrical spotlight to represent the Sun.