1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lifting 'lock down' opening the pubs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hs9981, Jun 29, 2020 at 9:01 AM.

1. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

3. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Brits famous lack of control when it comes to drinking + a sense of 'achievement' for (generally) failing to follow lock down rules + if the temperature exceeds 25 C and we have blue skies it's all going out the window...............

Look what is happening at the moment in other countries and their 'second waves,' the US, with Texas and Florida would be good examples.

If I were the 'powers' i'd keep the boozers closed at the moment............

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Oh, we're so stupid.

Still, more time being paid not to work I suppose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53192024

If Scotland & N.Ireland could do this within months, why not England? It’s a political choice & about a clear strategy looking ahead 6-8 months. Why accept thousands of daily infections & deaths & repeated lockdowns?

ajrowing likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I won't be going anywhere near a pub for quite some time.

Laphroig, Catgirl1964, nomad and 6 others like this.
  6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Actually I'm in support of the idea that pubs and beaches should be open - if there are crowds there the rest of the country will be less full (& safer) for me. And if Covid spreads though those on the beaches/in pubs, they can claim the Darwin award their stupidity deserves too

ajrowing likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Few pubs around here are opening on the 4th (the Golden Pheasant in Burford is the only one I've heard is planning to do so). My sons in London tell me that few of their locals are planning to do so, either. A few are opening on the 6th. Some on the 13th. Some on the 20th. A number have not yet declared (so are unlikely to be ready for Saturday).

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What worries me is that we are going to see the same as what has happened in some of the US states.

Pubs should NOT be opening.

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Totally agree with peakster. Look at the US. Utter disaster looming and the governors cant even get people to accept wearing masks. Cue carnage.

UK pubs will open and the cases will climb. Throw in a sunny day or two and we will be back to 500 deaths per day in a couple of weeks. bojo does not have the bottle to reimpose lockdown.

Nicola will impose a border between Scotland and England. That will be cool to watch.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The weather forecast for next weekend is pretty good.

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I can’t recall the last time I went to a pub. Just not interested though I suspect I maybe in the minority here

Laphroig likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Problem is, what if Leicester schools have to close for a few weeks. Do they get to take GCSEs later? And then what if Liverpool has to lock down etc...?

Might make a right mess of exams again...

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  13. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

I don't think there will be that much of a problem for a number of reasons.

Pubs will only allow a restricted number of people in who will be seated at tables and getting served. There will not (or should not) not be large numbers of people at the bar downing pints. Instead it will be smaller groups possibly having a meal and a few drinks.

This will suit the foodie pubs but the traditional "boozer" will not be the same and probably not going to be until all social distancing measures have been relaxed later in the year (or even 2021 :eek:).

Many, including me, will not bother with going to the pub until they are back to the "old" normal thats if any are left then,

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Maybe not, but the children in your school might have parents who spent the summer in one. Depending on their age, the students some of us teach in September could have done too-and if there's no bubbles and no distancing, they could spread whatever they've picked up to the ones who did distance over the summer.

15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

What about the scientists who've argued that fully reopening schools as 'normal' in September is more dangerous than reopening 'new normalled' pubs and shops etc? In my area, the experts have said that partially opening schools is reasonably safe in comparison, yet a lot of people seem happy to reopen schools completely!
    Before anyone says we need schooling and not sherries, remember not all would agree; some families feel their children are doing better working safely at home, so schools could offer places to the more vulnerable and let others learn at home, plus for some lonely people, the pubs shutting has meant they've had no real human contact.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

And it's fine that their children die (or are left with serious health issues, as doctors have warned of after Corona)? And the people with pre-existing health conditions that are forced to bump into them at medical centres? Or the teachers of their children, come September? As with drink-driving, if it was only the person hurting themselves, that would be one thing-but they maim others, too.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that these eejits then return to the community and spread it there and that, when they get sick, they draw on scarce NHS resources..

smoothnewt likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's not just the people.
    I do not understand how a pub can sustain a workable bar service whilst also mitigating viral spread through all the paraphenalia inherent in providing drinks. I say this from having worked behind a bar, as I know several other posters have done. beer pumps, fridge doors, barrel furniture, syphons,optics, glasses, drip trays, cloths-they are all subjected to multiple handling in an extremely confined space, far more so than in a food outlet, which will maybe have one part of the process performed by just one person. And if you work behind a Wetherspondle's bar (other chains are available) it is in fact compulsory to sneeze several times into your hands before serving customers who you deem ugly or cheap. Other journalistic commentaries are available.
    Actually it makes me a bit icky thinking about it even in non Covid times, the fug, the stickiness, the overspill.
    As a pub customer I'd be as reticent to receive a drink from there as I would be to mix with other people in a bar room.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM
  19. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Which is why exams 2021 should be cancelled now.

Just take gcse students who are going into y11 in September. Many will have had no real education since March. A minority will have been properly home schooled and will have kept up with work. The majority will need massive amounts of catch up which the normal timetable will not allow. Add the very likely local lockdowns and any idiot can see that exams 2021 are a non-starter.

Catgirl1964 and Scintillant like this.
  20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Can anyone see this as being actually practical? Given no infrastructure on the border, and no system of ID cards in the UK?

Scotland should consider making travellers from England self-isolate for 14 days as the country is on track to be 'Covid-free' by the end of September, top scientist suggests
    • Professor Devi Sridhar has advised Nicola Sturgeon during the Covid-19 crisis
    • She claimed that Scotland is on track to be 'Covid-free' by the end of September
    • Prof Sridhar argued the major challenge would be to prevent any imported cases
    • She said it would be 'straightforward' if Scotland was an island with no borders

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-travellers-England-self-isolate-14-days.html