1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

lifecycles and creatures in class!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Feb 21, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, it's great. You can order caterpillars off the internet. They get sent live through the post with a supply of food. You put each one in a little tub with their food and watch them grow. As soon as they make their chrysalis, move them to a piece of card and put them in a butterfly cage (available over the internet too) When they hatch, you casn keep them for a few days before releasing them.
    I also have frogspawn. Collect some over the next couple of weeks (depends where you live) and put in some shallow pond water in a clear storage box. When tadpoles hatch, feed them boiled lettuce. Thin the tadpoles out so you have only about 15, then there's more chance of them reaching the frog stage. Put a few flattish stones in. As soon as they are looking like frogs, release them because they soon die.
    I have also hatched chicks in class. We have chickens at school and borrow a cockerel to amuse the ladies! the eggs are collected, incubated and hatched in class. Easier for me as I have a farming background and access to equipment. They are quite a lot of work but to watch them hatch live, is second to none for education. The children love it.
    Go for it

2. We had caterpillars in reception as part of our minibeast topic and the kids loved it!! We released them once they were butterflies and the children actually held them on the back of their hands to release them!