1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life without levels and SEN?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LyndaMP, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Hi there,

My school are now using the 'Life without Levels' approach to assessment and we've had a lot of discussion about what implications this has for our SEN pupils. I'd love to know what other schools are putting in place for their SEN pupils. In my mind it seems ridiculous to keep those children who are not going to meet their end of year expectations on the same expectations as their peers so it makes sense to give them expectations from a year or two (or three!) below. The debates we've had though centre around the fact that for gifted and talented children we're no longer able to give them work from the year above, we have to broaden and deepen their understanding within their current year group expectations and some colleagues are suggesting that we should keep our SEN children within their year group expectations too!

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I want to make sure we're giving all of our children the best chance we can!

2. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

This isn't a fact; it's an interpretation - and a mistaken one in my opinion. There's nothing to say that you can't use objectives from another year group; indeed the legislation specifically says you can. However, the advice - quite rightly - is that teachers should ensure that children are secure in the knowledge from the relevant year group before pushing them on too quickly.

As for SEN pupils, as always, I would suggest teaching them what they need to know next.

It really should be that "simple".

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

We keep getting mixed messages from our LA Advisors.

English: if children are below where they should be, stil teach them that years expectations, AND the stuff to catch them up (yes, plenty of time for that, and if they currently can't read or write fhe year 5 work should be a breeze...), if working above look atmthe year above.

Maths: if children are below, look at objectives from lower years so they are accessing material at an appropriate level. If above, don't look at the year above, 'broaden' their experience instead and improve their 'mastery''.

I have no idea why 2 of the core subjects have such opposing views!! I am perpetually confused. I'd much rather just teach what the children need to know.