1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

life without A level-better or worse?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by san38, Nov 17, 2015.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

My A level has been totally ruined by government changes&to give myself enough subject hours I need to 'sell' something I am less than enthused by. I am a dept of 1 & am so stressed by the thought of planning and resourcing New gcse&A level by myself. I feel that looking for a role in an 11-16 school may help reduce stress. A Level teaching has perks of course but planning at this level, combined with results pressure on top of drastically course changes has sucked the joy out of it..:( anyone made a similar transition? Any comments welcome

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

At A level you get better behaviour and nicer students - usually - as they've grown up a bit - so teaching it is more pleasant. But yes, the planning and marking.........

3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I taught for about 5 years without A level. This after teaching A level for 5 years. I quite enjoyed just teaching 11- 16. Fewer exam classes to worry about. I don't remember thinking that it was overwhelming in terms of poor behaviour. Just got used to not having the nicer more enthusiastic groups. Mind you, I love teaching A level now, the planning is minimal when you've done it for so long. The A level has not changed much over the years, indeed it has become easier and less content based. The recent changes just bring back some of those topic areas we dropped. So on balance, I prefer having A level groups. But stress that I quite enjoyed the non - A level years too.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What about a school with IB? Less stress in Year 12 and a variety of subjects for exam in Year 13?

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

It may be less stressful in an 11 to 16 school with well behaved pupils.
    You may reduce your future promotional opportunities by leaving A level behind.