1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life Teaching at a Boarding School

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ntiwari, May 13, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    First-time poster, long-time stalker on the TES forums here. Apologies if this post is under the wrong category, but the "accommodation" section of the forums seemed to be purely adverts for renting/selling houses.
    Although I'm a teacher at an international school in India, I'm sure the advice you can give me is universal. I'm to start at a boarding school in June and was just wondering if others on here with experience in such a setting can give me an idea of what life is like teaching at a boarding school.
    I personally was at boarding school myself when a child; it was not a happy experience. However, the school I'm headed to is very different from where I went to: it's an international school, facilties and infrastructure are good overall, and so on. Most of the teachers working at the school live in the town itself; just a couple of house parents and a few administrative and service staff live on campus with the children. From what I gather the job can be a lonely one, which of course I plan to bravely combat with lots of mucking about on the Internet in the evenings and reading. The town isn't very far off from the school, but public transportation isn't very good or reliable in that area, so I would actually be spending most of my time on campus. Naturally a bit anxious about being overwhelmed by effectively living AT the workplace, and so on.
    I should mention that I am actually Indian and thus am not an expat working overseas, so culture shock in the international sense is not something I'd face - but oh yes, sorry: what IS life like teaching at a boarding school?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I wish I could help, but I have no experience, at all, of all this. Keep bumping your post up. Many posters only get the chance to pop in now and again. There could very well be posters out there who would love to reply, but they may be infrequent visitors to TES.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

You might get more traffic on the teaching overseas forum, too.

4. Thank you anyway! :) But how do I 'bump up' the post?

5. What is life like teaching in a boarding school... hard flipping work!!
    Depending on the school, and your role within it, the hours can be crazy. A lot of boarding schools have lessons on Saturday mornings and you will very probably be asked to contribute to games, extra-curricular, etc on Saturday afternoons. You might also have to do boarding duties for a night or so during the week and because the children often do supervised prep in the late afternoon/early evening, you will probably find yourself staying late to cover that once or twice a week.
    My school has exeat this weekend (when all the kids go home Friday lunchtime and come back Sunday night), and I have spent the whole time catching up on marking, planning, writing exam papers etc. On a normal work night, I won't make a start on the books until at least 10.30pm.
    But it's not all doom and gloom!! There's the massively long holidays to think of, as well as the fact that working in a boarding school gives you a whole different perspective. You build up great relationships with the kids and you get to see a different side to them outside of the classroom (which can make for a pleasant or otherwise surprise...!).
    All I can say is good luck and enjoy it. You will have to make a huge commitment to the school during term-time, and most likely your social life will suffer a bit, but the rewards are more than worth it. I wouldn't change my job for anything!

6. Thank you for your post, teacupcake! :) Needless to say I'm both excited and terrified of the place already. I'm the sort that isn't content when idle - but conveniently also the sort that is the first to go off on half-hour whinges about being overextended! :p