1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life outside of Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by felinefriend, Jul 30, 2012.

1. What are you all doing whilst OH and the rest of GB watch Olympic Games?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Watching as much as I can and then spending 2 1/2 days a week staying with my aged mother and visiting my even more aged father in hospital ( why do I keep wanting to say "in prison"). I'm loving the Olympics and it's a great excuse to sit an relax and cuddle up to OH after stressful days away.

3. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Sorting and disposing of 36 years worth of worksheets! My OH isn't in the slightest bit interested in the Olympics so there is some desperate searching of the Radio Times for alternative programmes in the evenings. But we did get hooked on the men's gymnastics [​IMG]

4. Glad the Games are providing an entertaining distraction. I know how important it is to have good things in your life when looking after ill/aged parents.

5. I have been drawn into gymnastics and swimming. For the first time since retirement a year ago I have bought Radio Times to help me out! I don't object to great coverage for those who love sport but I just regret the lack of good options for those of us who do not pay for TV extras. Moan, moan!

6. Events such as the games always lifts my spirits and I am now lamenting the fact that I didn't become a volunteer! My OH who is a cycling fanatic (watching that is), persuaded me to go down to London Saturday to catch the road race. We had a fabulous time. Such a happy day. met loads of nice people, even managed to see the cyclists and had a good laugh with the stewards and the police! Spent the afternoon strolling down the South Bank. Now planning to catch the Tour De france next year, simply because I can now!

7. copperbeech

copperbeech New commenter

I've always watched the athletics but have never really watched the Olympics indiscriminately as I always felt there was something more urgent I should be getting on with. Even during the holidays there is the pressure to make the most of your time. But since retirement (last Summer) I am so relaxed that I have spent hours at a time watching the rowing, the swimming and the cycling. And not worried about what tasks I should be getting on with. It's great!

8. Me too can't believe I am so into it loving the cycling especially [​IMG]

9. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Great Britain has done so well in the cycling! I'm excited about Canada's first ever medal in trampoline and looking forward to watching the triathlon and then the marathon.

10. The rowing was amazing. I have been so impressed by the whole team and the women in particular. I have given in gracefully and am watching more than I thought I would! At the same time I have my laptop as I watch and have ventured into other TES forums (fora?). Do any of you have a favourite to recommend?

11. Thanks for the advice...will take a look. I like cooking.

12. SO glad the first bit of the Olympics is over. Got my OH back. However, conversation is a bit difficult at the moment as OH hasn't been listening for the last 3 weeks, so getting back into the habit of 100% focus on what I'm saying is a bit unnerving.

13. I agree! And no more shouting at the TV for a while. So peaceful!

14. I can relate to that my OH got very enthusiastic at times (not like him either except football!)
    Peaceful week now as he is on Biz in USA and learned to use Skype and texts (at last)

15. How often does he go away? I used to hate it. It was Ok for the first couple of days, could watch rubbish TV and have controle of the remote but the end of the week and weekends were not good. Skype must really help.