1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life of a 1:1 TA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chelseys101, May 21, 2017.

1. chelseys101

chelseys101 New commenter

Hello!

I have not posted on here before so... here it goes! I am a 1:1 TA with a child who has severe Global Development Delay in a mainstream school. Her main needs are social and communication. She is going into year 1 in September and I fear what is to come. So far she has been in a child initiated curriculum so she has been able to get by without her ability stopping her from doing everything the other children are but year 1 goes straight into formal schooling.
    I guess I am writing this to ask your views on how you think I should tackle next year! I am already trying to find out who her class is going to be next year and teacher etc. I am planning on creating her a space for herself outside and inside class. I also take her to a sensory space outside of school as there isn't that kind of space at her school. I've got her lots of resources to keep her calm in class. But on the other hand, she only knows 4 phonic sounds, and even those she doesn't read correctly. She speaks by repeating what somebody else says and has very little understanding of her surroundings.
    I was just wondering what other people have done? If anyone has similar struggles to me and what kind of support people are receiving!

Thanks!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well hopefully the child's next teacher will be providing direction, so the sooner you find out the better.

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

You seem like a very caring person. She is lucky to have someone who is already thinking ahead about her needs.

I think if I were you I would speak to the sch SENCo and ask about support available. Does the girl have a diagnosis of anything? Sounds like she may have echolalia, but that's only based on you wht you said about her repeating things which are said to her.

Hope you find the guidance you're looking for and all the best.

4. chelseys101

chelseys101 New commenter

Her diagnosis is Global Development Delay with particular difficulties in social skills and communication. Yes she uses a lot of echolalia. I do work closely with the SENCO but with a diagnosis like GDD you don't get as much support from High Needs Funding etc. I have someone come in from outreach to help with PECs training but with the child's attention span it's difficult to always use the sessions effectively!
    I just thought I'd see who else has a 1:1/ children in their class with similar difficulties and how they deal with their difficulties in a mainstream class. Especially with her going into year 1 and with parents insisting that she sticks in mainstream I need all the tips I can get!

5. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

@chelseys101 from the little you've told me, I'd say mainsteam isn't the place for her. Hope someone else on here has experience of a situation like yours.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

I've taught a few children at this level in Year 1 and 2, it's great that she will have the continuity of the same TA so you know exactly what level she is at. I always tried to spend 10 minutes at the end of every day going through the following day's lessons with my TA and talking about how she can access it, e.g. finding pictures to talk about and real objects. Then either the TA or I could find/make resources that evening. We had a large collection of 5 or 10 minute jobs she could do, with a break between each one and a "now/next" visual timetable. She needs to be involved in the class as much as possible, even if it is 1 minute sitting on the carpet to answer the register, building up over the course of the year.

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It sounds like you are doing and excellent job and you certainly seem to understand the nature of you pupil's challenges very well.

With this in mind, I suspect you will be able to quickly identify what types of intervention she will require, once you are both in the new environment.

I strongly agree with the poster above who mentions the need to keep her as involved with the rest of the class as possible, as such engagement must be the long term objective (Although it might seem a million miles away right now).

Also agree that arrangements must be led be the class teacher, but I am sure they will welcome your input and knowledge and be keen to draw on your experiences to date with this pupil...

High quality 121s hard to find. If you ever need a job, we might have about six for you!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.