1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life is like a box of chocs - my assembly

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I am planning assembly and am thinking this-
    Box of Terrys All Gold. Talk to the kids about my love of choc, (which is well-known) and what a treat it is to have a box of chocs given to me. Get some volunteers, some get to choose their choc, some are given a choc chosen by me, some are turned away ( I would prime these ones, obviously and let them have a choc later). Talk to them about Life , using the theme above - you get what you are given, and you make the most of your life, because it's the only one you are going to have. Probably. I have found a few nice choc quotes as well - one of my faves is "Chocolate is not just for breakfast.".
    I will only have about 10 mins or so - if anyone has any ideas to improve/ or if anyone wants to suggest something completely different please do. It has been a while since I did one, so would really appreciate some feedback. MAny thanks
    X

2. I am planning assembly and am thinking this-
    Box of Terrys All Gold. Talk to the kids about my love of choc, (which is well-known) and what a treat it is to have a box of chocs given to me. Get some volunteers, some get to choose their choc, some are given a choc chosen by me, some are turned away ( I would prime these ones, obviously and let them have a choc later). Talk to them about Life , using the theme above - you get what you are given, and you make the most of your life, because it's the only one you are going to have. Probably. I have found a few nice choc quotes as well - one of my faves is "Chocolate is not just for breakfast.".
    I will only have about 10 mins or so - if anyone has any ideas to improve/ or if anyone wants to suggest something completely different please do. It has been a while since I did one, so would really appreciate some feedback. MAny thanks
    X

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I hope you've done a full Risk Assessment. Choking hazards, Nut Allergy leading to anaphylactic shock, possible cuts from the packaging, emotional distress to children not getting any chocolates, possible safeguarding violations if some poor little sod ends up with the coffee creme, the risk of children with EBD fighting over a single chocolate, and printing the menu in large print on blue paper to make it accessible to kids with dsylexia.

4. sorry to come all elf'an'safety - but you have thougth about allergies (nut,milk) and food sensitivities- sugar, cocao?
    i may sound like a jobsworth, but miss post has nut anaphylaxis - give her a chocolate from a mixed box, even if it has not got an actual nut in it, and you could finish your assembly with the spectacular sound effect of an ambuance

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Who is playing Forrest Gump?

6. msb - 2 minds with but a single thought cross-posting lol!

7. All excellent point.s thanks so much. Having a quick rethink - how does this sound?
    I choose my favourite - yum Strawberry Cream. Eat. Then I choose a less favourite one - let's say Caramel. OK, but not as goof as a Strawb. Then a pause for reflection, whilst I deny myself any choc at all. Then - run of bad luck finishes, sunshines again, and I can go for the Strawberry one again. Slickly illustrating the ups and downs of life, kids appreciate the sentiment even more as they see me missing out or being forced to eat a choc which is simply not my favourite.
    I think it'll work...

8. They are young secondary so hopefully will know if they have an allergy. Will have an Epipen on the lectern though.

9. did Forrest get all the chocs in the end? That will be me, then.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..not to mention potential humiliation to dyspraxic kids who drop the chocolate, and the inevitable child in every class who's devout religious beliefs forbid them from enjoying themself.

Minefield if you ask me ;-)

11. Your assembly theme on how life throws you **** and you have no choice but to go with it and grit your teeth until you get a break is a worthy one.
    Why do you need chocolate to illustrate such a profound theme? The chocolate will become your focal point.
    There are enough stories of great suffering and gritted teeth without needing chocolate to make a point.

12. Thanks for your ideas, very helpful.

13. impis

impis New commenter

Well I think its a great idea - and one I'll possibly pinch, the next time I have to do an assembly!!
    There's nothing more motivating than food - and chocolate in particular.
    And they will remember it too.

14. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

How about Revels as per the advert - What suits one..... I hate strawberry creams!

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

THAT would be a much more interesting assembly.
    In all honesty, the OP assembly sounds a bit "thin" and clichéd.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Can't you just get an assembly out of a book?

17. I sat through a really nice assembly once - where the teacher told the story of how a lovely day she'd planned had got worse and worse (it rained so they couldn't have a picnic in the park, mum forgot her glasses so they couldn't go to the bookshop and buy a book... that sort of thing) and with each thing that went wrong - she'd got one of her kids to rip a bit of fabric in two (pre-cut first so you didn't get the unable to rip it thing)... then started to tell how they'd turned each of the negative bits around to a positive (they'd gone to a nice coffee shop instead, mum had bought an audiobook - you get the gist of them having a nicer day because of everything going "wrong") and used a patchwork quilt that could make all the little scraps of broken bits of material into something that looked better than the original fabric to start with. Obviously her delivery on this was superb - but it still sticks in the mind now as a fantastic assembly - and it must have been pushing 5 years ago that I saw it... similar sort of theme to making the best of stuff that doesn't plan out how you think it should do.

18. Love it, love it MSB. [​IMG]
    We can laugh, but it says soooooo much about the pathetic state of teaching today, doesn't it?
    Hope your assembly goes well Gorgy.
    Start by dismissing all the c.rap and asking the kids "Who likes chocolates?" I bet every hand will go up, allergies or not.
    Then carry on with your analogies. Sod H&S b.ollox.