1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life in Ruwais or Madinat Zayed (UAE)

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Please tell me what what the social life would be like in either cities including cost of living and transport to the main cities Abu Dhabi and Dubai

2. Training_2_Teach

Please tell me what what the social life would be like in either cities including cost of living and transport to the main cities Abu Dhabi and Dubai

3. I can tell you life in Ruwais without a driving licence is going to be tough :) Im assuming you are working for ***?

4. Training_2_Teach

I've not got a job yet but have applied for a school that has campusesd in either cities.
    How do you obtain a driving licence and how long does it take?

5. Upon entry you will be given a 30 day tourist visa.
    Whilst on that tourist visa you can drive a hire car only. You will need a car in Ruwais or MZ.
    Once your residence visa has been processed you can then apply for a driving license. This is not a difficult process. It just takes time and a lot of patience.
    Then you can purchase a car.
    You cannot own a car without a residence visa.
    I believe this to be the correct info if anyone else has any, please post.

6. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Initially you don't need a UAE driving licence or your residency - go to a UK post office get the card which translates your UK licence - I think it costs under £10 - mine was £6 but that was a couple of years ago! You can then hire a car - Hertz in AD do a special rate for teachers I was paying approx £300 per month for a small car which was changed every 4 months fully inclusive of servicing and breakdowns (which it never did) just had to put the petrol in! An absolute necessity for this area!

7. pixel

pixel New commenter

From Mz it is two hours to Abu Dhabi, 3 hours to Dubai. You are not that desperate for a job.

8. If you are single and want a decent social life, then it has to be Abu Dhabi or Dubai.