1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

life in Jeddah for a single female ? Jeddah vs. Riyadh ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mariadelasol, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mariadelasol

Mariadelasol New commenter

Hello,

Just wondering what life in Jeddah is like for a single female ?
    Anyone feel Jeddah is better than Riyadh ?

Looking at a school with international knowledge.

2. Mariadelasol

Hello,

Just wondering what life in Jeddah is like for a single female ?
    Anyone feel Jeddah is better than Riyadh ?

Looking at a school with international knowledge.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Jeddah, definitely. There were some private beaches where Mrs Hippo was able to wear her bikini.

4. Mariadelasol

Cool !!

May I ask what year this was in Jeddah ?

5. Mariadelasol

Hello Mr. Hippo,
    I have just sent you a PM.
    Many thanks in advance.

6. the hippo

Afwan gazeelan, as we say in this part of the world.

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Crumbs. Having lived in Riyadh for four years I'd summarise it in one word as suffocating. Jeddah has a decent reputation and is world's apart from the religious severity of the capital.

8. Mariadelasol

happygreenfrog=
    Have you been to Jeddah ?
    How was it ?

9. happygreenfrog

Nope sorry not been to Jeddah but heard some decent reports though only from wealthy Saudi youth.
    In Riyadh you can witness the religious police cutting hair off youth outside a mall as it is 'unislamic', despite a certain prophet allegedly having long hair. In Jeddah you can parade in a swimming costume on the beach, so I'm told.
    Saudi is all about whether you can stand life in a compound. I could and stayed four years.

10. Mariadelasol

*Bump
    I PM'd you.

11. Hey,
    I have just accepted a job in Jeddah. I am also a young, single female. I start working on the 25th of August. Super excited but also nervous too. Did you accept the job?

12. Mariadelasol

Hello,
    I have PM'd you back.
    I ended up not taking the job after doing careful research on
    Saudi life for single expat females.
    Between the religious police telling you to cover your hair, having to wear the Abaya
    each time one goes out and having ones passsport possibly taken by the school-
    I felt it was not worth my freedom or the money.
    Make sure you read the contract very carefully !!

13. Hi are you at the school yet? what is it like? Am starting there in sept 2012

14. happygreenfrog

Would not happen in Riyadh. The Muttawa would be on you like a shot if you were seen without covered hair. they also may pick you up and take you to a police station if they feel in the mood. In Riyadh there is little freedom outside a compound . . . unless you are Royalty (which many are of course) and then you can almost do what the hell you please.
    I've been in shops during prayer time and the staff freak out trying to get you outside as the Muttawa are patrolling and all shops must close their doors.

15. msnessy

msnessy New commenter

The "joys" of living in the city they train the Muttawa in ;)

16. msnessy

msnessy New commenter

Thought it might be helpful amongst all the bad stuff said about life in the magic kingdom for someone to post some of the good things about life here.

* Not only do the baggers at the supermarket, bag your groceries they also unload them from the trolley onto the belt for you, pack them once they've been scanned, push the trolley out to the car for you and load them into the car.

* Abaya allows you to go in whatever you want, grocery shopping in pyjama's. Not a problem as no one knows whats under the abaya.

* Yes on the face of it, it is a pain not being able to drive but then you see the traffic and the insanity that is Arabs on the road at night and realise that as a passenger I have no road rage.

* You become an expert at holding an outfit against your abaya clad body and knowing if it'll fit or not (tongue firmly in cheek as I write that).

* Lots of fresh seafood at great prices.

* Lots of great restaurants to try.

* Depending on the compound, access to pools and private beaches.

* Good selection of imported food items to be found in the supermarkets.

* If you're generously proportioned, clothes are easy to find due to most of the Saudi women being generously proportioned.

* The law is being enforced now about men working in underwear shops and most underwear / swimwear shops now have female sales assistants.

* The snorkelling in the Red Sea is superb and cheap too. 33 quid for a full day out on the Red Sea, food and drinks included.

* Lots of expat clubs to join to meet people.

* Grapefruit were 66p a kg at the supermarket this week.

* Maids and gardeners are cheap. Housework and grass watering need not be part of your life whilst here in the Magic Kingdom.

* No taxes of course, tutoring is easy to come by which increases savings potential.

Of course there are frustrations of life here but all is not bad here. In fact I find life surprisingly great here.

17. msnessy

msnessy New commenter

Jeddah Knowledge pays by nationality. Staff live on a nice compound but work a longer day for less pay than staff at the British schools. IB training is plentiful for staff in DP and MYP. Staff in PYP get next to no training.

18. msnessy

msnessy New commenter

As you know nothing about me or my circumstances you have a cheek to attack me. You seem to have a lot to say about Saudi but it seems to be the same old rhetoric often spouted by people who have never been here. I was asked for information about a school and I merely said to PM me questions. That doesn't give you the right to attack me or anyone else for that matter who is contemplating Saudi Arabia.

19. the hippo

juakali's post really is not very polite or helpful. I think that msnessy just wanted some helpful information and I do not see how this justifies juakali's rather harsh and unkind comments.
    Of course this hippopotamus is not without his faults and I have been known to tread on a few toes from time to time.
    Yes, it rather does go without saying that some aspects of the regime in Saudi Arabia are obnoxious to most westerners. On the other hand, many Saudis find some things in London pretty offensive.
    No doubt many of juakali's comments about Saudi Arabia could also be applied to other Gulf countries as well. Is he therefore suggesting that no British teachers should ever contemplate teaching anywhere in the Middle East? Does the presence of westerners in a country where there is an oppressive regime make it more oppressive or less?
    Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Islam. Many Saudis would no doubt claim that their country follows the teachings of the Qu'ran. Maybe juakali is just another islamophobic bigot.

20. Hmm to a greater or lesser extent all of us international teachers are guilty in this, I think we have all worked in countries with corrupt/immoral activities and traded our measly souls for a few pieces of silver.
    As to Saudi, it's up to the individual, as a women I would imagine that it is a big ask to throw out the window all of your beliefs and ideals about equality and all the hard earned rights of women in the West, wrap yourself in a large blanket and collect your blood money.
    I am sure a few suffrage campaigners would be turning in your grave, still it's your dignity and it's worth the money right?