1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life beyond levels - what do inspectors think?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by cmpack77, Dec 5, 2016.

1. cmpack77

cmpack77 New commenter

I'm interested to know what peoples' experience of inspection has been like since the moves towards Life after Levels? Are inspectors still inclined to look at age standardised data? How can they compare the many different systems that schools are using to compare schools? if you do use standardised tests, which do you feel are most accurate / straightforward to administer?
    Many thanks :)

2. YOUNG1975

YOUNG1975 New commenter

Hi,
    We have just experienced the new one day Ofsted. We are still using levels with a point score system. The majority of our data is represented as a point score in SIMS and is still reported to parents as a level. The Ofsted inspectors were happy with this and were mainly concerned that we had a rigorous baseline. We are a group of PRUs behaviour and medical. They were unconcerned that we still used levels/point scores and were interested in how we could prove the progress the students were making and what we considered expected and outstanding progress and how we used interventions if students were not achieving expected progress. We decided not to change from levels and I am really glad we stuck to this as they were very understanding that there has not be any real suggestions for moving forward etc.

Hope this helps

T34 likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes makes absolute sense that policy and practice is transparent and it avoids the key Ofsted question ' so what ? ' . I think there were suggested ways forwards out there by a range of schools which were given government grants to develop their assessment routines (since been shelved after the recommendations of the publication of the 2015 commission) . I can give more info if you need it ? The responsibilty to demonstrate ' progress ' lies with schools - end of.

4. pedchamp

pedchamp New commenter

After reading Ofsted Myths and looking at the handbook it is acknowledged that schools are in transition. They are unable to comment on systems used as long as they track progress and learning is taking place. As long as progress is evident whatever system you use is fit for purpose. I use a system to help the teachers assess learning that informs future planning. It provides the data but at the same time doesn't overload teachers
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]