1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life before barcodes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Who remembers shopping before barcodes and paying by plastic became the norm in the supermarket? How on earth did we manage when supermarket staff had to use price guns to put price labels on tins, weigh things out and manually enter each item at the till?

Then there was all that sodding about writing cheques and having the checkout assistant write down the number on the cheque guarantee card or write out credit card slips before putting them in the machine with the card to have the embossed card details imprinted on the slip.

It makes you wonder how supermarkets ever managed to make enough profit to grow as big as they have, doesn't it? Thank goodness they've been able to shed all those jobs and reduce our shopping bills eh?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

It is soooo much less irritating nowadays

agathamorse likes this.
  3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

One local supermarket expected the till operators to remember all the prices and key them in accurately for every item. No idea how they did it so fast unless they had an aide-memoire.

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I remembering being in the check out queue and groaning inwardly when someone wanted to pay by cheque, as it usually meant a delay while the supervisor was summoned to examine and approve the cheque and guarantee card. Similar delays happened when a tin or a packet did not have a price label on it, and the queue was held up while someone went into he aisles to check the price.

InkyP likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Not the supermarket, but I had a Saturday job in Boots when I was in the 6th form. If anyone wanted to pay by credit card, we had to go and phone the card provider to confirm the card was good for the required amount, then get a code number that we had to write on the slip that itself had to be filled in by hand after going through the clunky machine that had to be hunted down as it had always moved because we only had one. Of course the busier we were, the longer the wait on the phone to get the bleddy code and confirmation.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In a manner of speaking I still live a life before barcodes.

Anything I find at a car boot sale or flea market with a barcode on it is instantly rejected as potential stock for my vintage stall. It's a great way of determining age on retro-looking packaging and ephemera.

Duke of York likes this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Those were the days when shops in the high street were busy and when the high street had shops!

8. Jolly_Roger15

[​IMG]
    @Mangleworzle: God, yes! I had forgotten about shops having to phone the CC Co., and those old, flat bed credit card rollers.

@catmother: Those far off days when you could get things in the high street, other than a haircut, a cup of fancy coffee, and charity shop clothes.

What about those tedious times in fuel stations, when you had to buy petrol separately from anything else, as they had different accounts, or something.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Mangleworzle likes this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Some people (oh no, not me, never) used to swap the price labels on the LPs in Boots and get a good record for the price of a rubbish mfp one. It only worked at lunchtime when the older lady was covering for the usual person. (Or so I'm told)

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

InkyP likes this.
  11. Jolly_Roger15

@InkyP: I had a 'friend' who did that too!

InkyP likes this.