1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life at m6

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by miss1986, Sep 20, 2015.

1. As the title suggests I'm currently main pay scale 6. In my recent appraisal my head discussed ups with me. It was decided that I had achieved a 1.5 pay point increase... But do I need to apply for the ups to get this or will it be added to my main pay scale 6 salary? I do not think I currently have all the evidence needed for ups application. A little confused. Would appreciate some advice. Thank you

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

What type of school are you in ?Have you checked your school pay policy ? Why would you have to collect evidence.? HT should have all the evidence from your PM to give you this pay rise.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The only reply we can really give you is to look at your school's pay policy. It may not be true that your PM reviews contain evidence for all the required standards (there are a lot of them and I know from experience that it took care from the reviewer and reviewee to get them all included), and I know of no rule now that says that the school can't ask for evidence. But they must publish a clear policy.

You seem a little confused on scales. Your school may still be calling it M6, but there are now just two scales, and to go above the maximum on the standard scale, you need to be put onto the upper scale by the school. Once they do that and providing that your performance is OK, then you stay on that scale as long as you stay in your current job, and can move up it according to your school's pay policy.

4. coppull

coppull New commenter

A further problems is that you may be receiving a 1% pay rise ,which is nothing to do with PM. Check if that is happening your school. In our LA all staff ,whether they are in LA schools or Academies are receiving this rise. Nasty Trade Unions doing their job.

5. Thank you, I have looked at the pay policy and there isn't any reference to being awarded a pay point after what is our equivalent to main pay scale 6. As the head has said I will be awarded a pay increase of 1.5 pay points for outstanding progress etc. should I have to apply for upper pay scale to obtain a pay increase based on my performance?

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

This sounds very strange indeed. Are you sure the head knew you were already on M6? I can't see how he could offer 1.5 points (offering half a point, if such a thing is not provided for in the pay policy, is weird) if you're already at the top of the scale and there are only 2 points on UPS1.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are under STPCD, then the school's pay policy should show how to get to the upper pay scale. This may or may not include an application process. I would download STPCD, read the relevant parts and then discuss with the Head.

If you are not under STPCD, then there could be other pay points, but none of us is qualified to advise you as we don't know your school's particular arrangements. Sorry.