1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life as a headteacher in England V Scotland

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by scubadiver, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Having been a headteacher for just 4 years in Scotland I am now moving back to England where I taught for 10 years. In two minds whether to look for a HT post or not. Would love to hear from anyone who has experience of both systems or can give me a realistic idea of the highs and lows of the job in England. Scotland has seemed a lot more work-life balance friendly and I didn't need any NPQH.

2. Having been a headteacher for just 4 years in Scotland I am now moving back to England where I taught for 10 years. In two minds whether to look for a HT post or not. Would love to hear from anyone who has experience of both systems or can give me a realistic idea of the highs and lows of the job in England. Scotland has seemed a lot more work-life balance friendly and I didn't need any NPQH.

3. I was a Headteacher in Scotland for 15 years up until my retirement nearly three years ago.

I have a friend who lives in Dumfries who drives over the border every day.

Much more demanding in England, in some cases slightly higher salaries but at the end of the day with regards take home pay - a secondary Head is hardly better paid than a primary Head.

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

"a secondary Head is hardly better paid than a primary Head. "

Do you think that there is a difference between the demands of the job? It could be argued that a HT in a small primary school with possibly a teaching commitment should be paid more than a secondary HT.
    Yes... you've guessed it, I'm a HT in a small primary school.

5. mychuck..
    I too am HT in a small primary school - I know what you're saying :)

If you are in England you could help me. I'm really happy to work extremely hard and used to juggling teaching classes with covering break duties, serving lunch and squeezing in the HT role in between. It's been stressful at times but fun and fulfilling. However, in Scotland there is little happening after 6pm leaving me free to choose whether to work on later or to have a life! Very little is expected at weekends - again it is up to me how much I decide to do for school. Of course there are terms when work takes over my life but I feel there is choice about how much I do. When I was a senior teacher in England there seemed to be a relentless schedule of Governors' meetings and a million evening events that meant had no control over my working patterns. How does it go for you?

6. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Life here at the moment is upside down. The 'new' government has changed so many things and has introduced things then changed their minds...no one really knows where it's all headed.
    I would choose your LA carefully - if there still is one where you hope to settle.
    Schools don't know where or if they will be in 5 years time.
    In my own small school we are very much into community cohesion [although it is seen as a peripheral area by Mr. Gove] and we have a Children's Centre Site based here as well in the move for schools to be leading the community and extended services. This is all change at the moment as the 'Big Society' takes control.
    I would take awhile to choose carefully and fully understand the type of setting you're taking on.
    Oh and by the way although I've been fairly negative, I love my job!![​IMG]

7. In my opinion you can have 70 or 700 pupils the job of Head Teacher is much the same.

Very often the job sizing toolkits used are outrageously unfair.

Although generaaly speaking, the bigger the school the more that can go wrong.

I retired two years ago from a 1,400 pupil secondary and I was on £75,000 top line which is now about £78,000.

I know in England I'd get more but I wouldn't want to work in England!

8. Thanks both.
    I moved to Scotland just as they abolished the old curriculum with only a hazy idea of what the new one would look like...then they abolished the assessment system and still have no idea what the new one will really look like...just found a route through all of this only to return to England under Mr Gove!
    Think I'll apply for a few and see what happens. I love the job, Mychuck, just as you do and appreciate your help. Potatoes5 I have to move south as my husband has landed a fantastic deputy headship in a beautful city! One of the pupils did offer me the bothy in their garden if I would consider staying on!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But you would to get a post in England.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!