1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after Workplace Stress Meltdown

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by diamondjane, Jan 15, 2016.

1. diamondjane

diamondjane Occasional commenter

I wanted to put an update to my situation - as it may help others like minicooper who are currently having a hard time. Below is an excerpt from my posts last March ..... At the time I was posting as Yoda811 but TES has inexplicably deleted that profile and I cant get back in. RosieVoice and MaryMoo among others were very kind and supportive at the time. FreddyK and Whisky63 were also going through it.

"I was angry - there were reasons why the stress had built over a year. Academy, new leadership, school improvement agenda - compounded by ridiculous workload. I had counselling which helped me to come through some of the feelings of hurt, anger, rejection etc.

Now I have decided to move on. Why go back to a poisonous situation. I have little conversations in my head with the people who were horrible to me - but I no longer feel the need to actually voice any of it to anybody. I have let it go."

So --- I went back into school on a phased return in a floating cover role (primary) in June after 7 months off. It was hard and I was fragiIe but I knew it would help my continued recovery. I had handed in my notice and could have remained off sick but having been at the school for 16 years with 5 different HTs, I wanted to 'leave properly in July'. Well, that didn't happen ha ha. They were decent to me after I told them I was leaving, although not until then. But there was no ceremony about my exit. I haven't been back since, not even socially, and I don't keep in touch with anyone there. I'm really happy now. I go into one local school on general supply and have been teaching across EYFS, KS1 and even in KS2 which I had never done before. My confidence is back and I'm enjoying the few days I do. I now feel that I could apply for a job if I needed to (in fact I've been offered two!) but I have decided to take early retirement from my 56th birthday next week and stick with the little bits of supply and being a Grandparent :)

So take heart people out there who are suffering. You can come through this. It takes a lot longer than you think it will and if you need to stay in teaching it is possible to find something that works. All the advice given on here about taking time and putting health first is so true - I can see that now with hindsight but when you are in it, you don't realise how ill you are.

Best Wishes everyone. I may be on as an occasional contributor now that I've managed to get back in. I feel like I know so many of you xx
    PS I don't know how to tag people - or I would have done.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@diamondjane

Welcome back! :) Thank you for posting to give encouragement to others.

Use the symbol @ before the users name without a space as I have I have to tag you at the beginning of this message.

diamondjane likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@diamondjane

Thank you for coming back and telling us your experience.

After so many years, and so much effort, dedication, giving of yourself for the school and the pupils, that is very sad that they should have showed themselves up like that.

:(

That is EXACTLY what we wanted to hear! :)

That's super news. It is so good to have a report from someone who has lived through the hard times and come out successfully at the other end.

And now I'll do some tags for you! They may not all be back on nu-TES, but I know that at least two of them are.

@rosievoice @marymoocow @FreddyK @Whisky63

Thank you again for coming back to tell us all this.

Best wishes for your retirement.

diamondjane likes this.
  4. vomitingvera

vomitingvera New commenter

It's great that you have got your confidence back and have survived to tell the tale! You did well to go back before the end of term too!

I too survived a long period of absence for stress and depression, and after some changes within school I am now successfully back enjoying a job I adore!

diamondjane likes this.
  5. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have been off with WRS for nearly 2 months. I feel I should go back but my gut feeling is I need more time. I am having counselling which is helping.

I am glad you had a happy ending and are still teaching. I too will be leaving my position at some point and then I will see where the wind takes me. I hope to find a work life balance where I can spend time with my toddler and feel happy.

diamondjane likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That is such a positive, encouraging post to help others.

To help people have some perspective on what seems to be an increasingly common scenario, from someone who's 'come out the other side' can only be helpful.

Thank you for posting and hopefully this will help others to have hope.

diamondjane likes this.
  7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I remember you, YodaDiamondJane. It is great to hear that you are now in a much better place, both health and work-wise. You are so right: it takes a long time to heal, but when you do you realise that there's a kinder way to live. Thank you for the update, but please keep posting now you are back. xxx:)

diamondjane likes this.
  8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I'm glad things have worked out for you and that you were able to leave on your terms, even if they didn't recognise it. It's funny the difference a year makes and it can all become a distant bad dream. Enjoy life again!

diamondjane and rosievoice like this.