1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Life after uni - Teaching abroad, Master's or PGCE?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by carpenoctem17, Mar 20, 2018.

  1. carpenoctem17

    carpenoctem17 New commenter

    Hi, I'm new here and looking for some guidance!

    So I'm 23 and coming to the end of my undergrad degree in French and Spanish, set to achieve a 2:1 or possibly even a 1st.
    I now have to decide what to do after uni, which is a LOT easier said than done. I am planning on completing a CELTA course this summer, and then I have to decide between the following 3 (at least) options:

    1. Go on to do a Master's in Comparative Literature for 1 year, and then teach abroad (preferably in Spain or Japan) with my CELTA qualification. I especially love the academic side of uni and would consider doing a PhD in the distant future, as I am interested in teaching but in terms of teaching at schools in the UK as opposed to abroad, my interest is fairly minimal due to the current state of affairs and...well...the fact that it's the UK. I would much rather explore a subject in depth and teach uni students whilst conducting research if I DID have to work in the UK. A Master's would also presumably increase my pay in TEFL jobs and possibly increase opportunities. Additionally, decent funding is available for a Master's right now and I could live at home paying minimal rent and saving money for the future.

    2. Take a year to get QTS with a PGCE via the SCITT route, then spend ANOTHER year in the UK to complete the NQT year, THEN move abroad. I have heard that the standard TEFL jobs are nowhere near as enticing when compared to what is available at foreign universities, international schools or even just "normal" schools abroad, but to teach in the majority of the "better" jobs, a PGCE is often needed. Having said that, I'm still not 100% sure that living abroad and teaching are always something I'm going to want to do (understandably) so committing two years to this seems a bit daunting.

    3. Use my new CELTA qualification to go abroad straight away and see what happens, although I'm a bit reluctant to do this as my younger sister is recovering from cancer and leaving her and my parents less than a year after such a difficult time doesn't sit quite right with me (even though I don't think any of them would mind), plus I may have to return in a few years anyway when I find I can only get the lowest-paying TEFL jobs and no options for career progression without any of the aforementioned qualifications!

    Sorry for the lengthy post. I know no-one can decide for me, but any information/solidarity/general advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Makua

    Makua New commenter

    It sounds to me like you have already decided....go for the masters now but see if you can pick up any summer work teaching/tutoring overseas to see how you enjoy it....or at a UK based summer school for foreign students.
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    celta teachers earn a pittance in comparison to teachers in proper international schools. add that to the fact that Spain is probably the lowest paying country in the world an your plan is not starting to look so good.

    i would go for full teacher qualifications and once you are "fully" qualified then a whole new world of opportunities will open up for you. although, you do teach MFL, and most international schools would prefer to employ someone from that country rather than employ a "foreigner" to do it, but its not impossible.

    two years is a minimum contract abroad, but honestly it flies by.

    best of luck with your decision

Share This Page