1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

life after teaching?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BGSG9, Feb 11, 2020.

1. BGSG9

BGSG9 New commenter

Hi all, so as much as I love teaching, I have reached that point where I want to stop doing it. I have been teaching for 5 years and the main reason why I want to quit is simply, poor behaviour. I have had enough of teenagers not wanting to learn, motivational issues, etc etc. You might think this isn't enough of a reason but I am totally drained and have stopped loving what I do. I feel like this is not a long term career for me, and I want to make a move, but I am not sure what to do. I would love to carry on teaching but I dont know how or where. Universities aren't an easy option, especially with brexit these days, and I dont see much more future for an MFL teacher like me. Anyone who is in the same situation and could lend me a hand? P.S. I'm a bit desperate so I have considered going to a careers advisor and see how to get out of this. People keep saying it's very difficult to change careers after being a languages teacher and so I am willing to invest money on trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. All comments appreciated. Thank you and have a lovely day!

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Could you not change schools? Not all pupils in all schools are misbehaved.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There are lots of opportunities in the city or agencies for language skills, eg the police or the banks or other such institutions dealing with other countries.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are you able to teach abroad? In an independent? If behaviour's the only issue, you might find it better there.

5. foroff2233

foroff2233 New commenter

I switched from state comp to independent school. It was a different world!

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Changing schools may be a good place to start as other posters have said. Otherwise there are companies who do business abroad who would snap up people with language skills and you could find yourself going abroad as a representative to do business, represent your company or do presentations. Do some research and find which firms in your area export/import and send off some unsolicited applications. You've got nothing to lose but the price of a stamp or if sending by e-mail it's free!

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I recommend SEN teaching for your council. 1:1 or small-group teaching only, autonomy, visiting different schools, relevant paperwork... I taught in class for a decade but I love my new role.

8. BGSG9

BGSG9 New commenter

How do I get into that? council website or job sites...? thank you for that idea btw :)

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I saw mine advertised through the council jobs website, in the education part. It wasn't something I'd previously considered, but I saw it and thought it was worth looking into. I work for the sensory impairment team and I go into mainstream schools, not special schools. I really love it, I always recommend it to teachers who are disillusioned with class teaching and want something different! The best part is I still get paid a teacher's wage - they matched my UPS3 wage! I would have struggled to find anything else permanent that paid the same AND used my love of teaching!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I made the move in summer 2017 from language teaching to customer service. My qualifications are not relevant to the business world at all but the transferable skills were enough to convince them.
    I went to a job hub place and they helped with re-gigging my CV, pointing me in various directions (websites, career paths) as I had no clue where to start or what I wanted to do next.
    I keep a loose eye on adverts and to me it looks like the need for language speakers has gone down drastically since the first Brexit deadline last year.

Shedman likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Life goes by too fast to waste it doing something you don't love - so find what that is or could be and make it happen!

Shedman and mothorchid like this.
  12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think most Teachers (and in my case Lecturers) go through this phase in the early years (like you, now) and again in later years prior to retirement. Five years in you should be getting the 'hang of it' albeit with your crisis. You may well find any other field of work is more or less the same, so look long and hard before you leap.

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

An inspiring story and good advice here for others. Thanks for posting.

14. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

I feel for you plight. It takes to long to train, the rewards are not great and the stress is huge.....but why do teachers feel this gaping hole before them when they want to move on?
    Most young people today job hop like they are frogs. They bob in and out of various things. Job hop. You can always go back to teaching with renewed vigour if you want to. It's not a life sentence.

15. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I don't know what it is like nowadays or what it was like 20 years ago over here when you study any degree but I certainly wasn't taught (if that can be taught) how to look for a job. My degree was meant for teaching back home and you just had to take qualification one after the other until you came out on the other side and were posted to a school where a teacher was needed. No need for applications, interviews, CVs NOTHING!