1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after teaching?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by arl17, Sep 15, 2019.

1. arl17

arl17 New commenter

I've been giving it some serious thought & I’m really starting to consider leaving the profession after almost 5 years of teaching. I hear so many people mentioning how transferable our skills are but I have no idea where to begin. Any tips on people to talk to? Potential job ideas? Or if you have left, what do you do now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Cyzaki

Cyzaki New commenter

See my I Escaped! thread - nearly been out of teaching for a year now.

Potential job ideas might depend on what you teach?

Shedman likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm retired now but I did have a number of career changes in my working life.

The first place to start is to make the actual decision as to whether you really are going to leave or not. This is probably the hardest step. Remember that if you stay you know what you will be getting, more of the same every day, every year. Perhaps you could make your job better in some way?

If you make the decision to leave then that's it, no turning back. The most obvious starting point would be to explore and apply for jobs that you have a particular interest in. You probably have many more years left at work so getting into something that interests you is the way to go. Get on the jobs sites and apply for jobs that you would like to do.

If you are getting nowhere then apply for jobs that you think you could do. A poster posting on the 'I escaped' thread describes how he got a job as a mathematician in the gambling industry, a job they never knew existed but seems to be making a good go of it.

One thing's for sure, you're never going to get another job unless you get yourself in front of an interview panel and to get there you have to apply. It could be that by going for one job, there may be other openings that you may be a better fit for in the company. Once you've got your foot in the door, hard work and application will soon open doors for advancement. If you put half as much effort into a new job as you do in teaching you'll soon get yourself noticed. As I've said before on these forums, ex-teachers are the best workforce an employer can get.

So where do you start? Just two things - Decide and then Act.

pepper5 and arl17 like this.
  4. welshwoman

welshwoman New commenter

Hi Arl71

I have also posted on Cyzaki’s post as I left teaching at Easter after 20 years. Please read that see what I’m doing now but in answer to your question regarding transferable skills here are some ideas -look at job descriptions and then think about the person spec and then collate evidence. I’ll try to put some ideas below:

Communication Skills - as a teacher these will be excellent due to the variety of ways you communicate and the wide range of people you interact with.

Analysing - should be straightforward with the amount of analysis we put into pupils performance.

EXcellent Time management, problem solving, drawing up action plans, performing under pressure, reflective practices, ict skills (didn’t think mine were that good till I got in a’ normal’ workplace and realised how much they’d developed whilst teaching!)., problem solving, ability to work to deadlines, flexible in approach to work - the list could go on and that’s before we’ve got to any subject specific stuff.

The jobs I was applying for seemed to be more focussed on these types of qualities as they are much harder to train up in people. Just remember when filling in applications to provide evidence that you have these skills. I know that I wrote about how teaching had helped develop these skills and it got me a good job.

Persevere - we are in demand - just need to have confidence and sell yourself. Good luck

arl17 and Shedman like this.