1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MagdaMc, May 3, 2018.

1. MagdaMc

MagdaMc New commenter

Hey all,

I am looking for a job away from teaching. I'm a qualified primary teacher with 10 years experience but have decided to move on. I want to be able to use my experience in the classroom though, especially creating lesson materials and detailing strategies to overcome challenges children find in their learning but not actually deliver lessons.

Interested to connect with anyone who has made a 'sideways' move from teaching. Have you found a suitably interesting/challenging role? What roles have you considered? Where have you ended up?

Any feedback VERY much welcomed.

MagdaMc :)

2. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

Hi I work in university Outreach in Central London. I have primary/secondary school classes visit regularly and it is fun helping them get to try university activities. The roles are scarce however and it's more office time than I'd sometimes like.

3. MagdaMc

MagdaMc New commenter

Hi, thanks for your response. Sounds interesting.

Can I ask how you found your job? Just thinking maybe you used a useful website or did you just do your own search?

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I don't know if you have retired or not. May I suggest, if you have, that you volunteer to help in the area in which you live. So many people, including myself, do this. It is a way of putting something back into your community and volunteers are desperately needed everywhere.

5. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

I searched for university outreach and education officer jobs and tailored my CV accordingly.