1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by beckysalmons, Mar 12, 2017.

1. beckysalmons

beckysalmons New commenter

After 14 years of teaching, at a management level, I am considering a career change. I would love to become an educational psychologist but a three year course isn't financially viable. Perhaps there is a mental health route where the qualification doesn't take as long?
    I am open to all suggestions and understand that a pay cut will be necessary for a while.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

missteach2005 likes this.
  2. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

Regarding the educational psychology, did you know the doctorate course is funded? Your fees are paid and you also get a tax fee bursary of about £16,000 pa in England (more in London) to live off.
    Still a big pay-cut of course, but the funding is not always known about so thought I'd say just in case. (You do need to already have an undergrad or conversion course (1 year) in Psychology, so if you need to do that first it could be an extra year of expense.)

As for other roles in mental health, the CAMHS website has this list of roles, some of which you might like to research further:
    http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_ch...e_to_mental_health_services/whos_who_in_camhs

All the best with your career change :)

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Sell all your worldly goods and build a beach hut on an uninhabited atoll.