1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after sMT role

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by JYJ, Dec 6, 2011.

1. JYJ

JYJ

I left my previous school at the end of the summer term because I wanted to concentrate on my class teacher role full time. I was SMT and had two days release to fulfill inclusion leader role. I left without a job thinking I would do supply work which was very slow at first to give me the time to find a job etc. I am still looking for a permanent class teacher post but have not been short listed forjobs I have applied for. I know job situations is tough at the moment but does previous senior role put people off? I am still mainscale just. I have been lucky this half term in that I have had full time work at one school as supply teacher. Any hints and tips? All gratefully received

2. JYJ

JYJ

I left my previous school at the end of the summer term because I wanted to concentrate on my class teacher role full time. I was SMT and had two days release to fulfill inclusion leader role. I left without a job thinking I would do supply work which was very slow at first to give me the time to find a job etc. I am still looking for a permanent class teacher post but have not been short listed forjobs I have applied for. I know job situations is tough at the moment but does previous senior role put people off? I am still mainscale just. I have been lucky this half term in that I have had full time work at one school as supply teacher. Any hints and tips? All gratefully received

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, feel sorry that you seem to have believed, like so many others, that supply could be an'easier option'.
    Read back on some of these threads and you will see that many of us jobseekers are returners or mature teachers who can not get posts. Plus there's an abundance of trainees from the past few years , who've failed to find permanent work.
    Certainly, if the Head is a new one, still 'growing in' to the role, mature experienced teachers could be considered something of a threat, though good ones will appreciate the experience we can offer.
    Others view supply as somehow less valuable, so it's good you've had a long-term post recently.
    Only advice I can offer is to keep going. People have been posting about securing jobs only today after 19 interviews and another after 100 applications!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo and welcome to the Forum!
    As you are a newbie, I'll just run through quickly what you should be doing nowadays in the job application scene. As a more expensive teacher you are at a slight disadvantage, but you can counteract that by emphasising your specific experience and achievements.
    And an honest comment from me: leaving a permanent post to go onto supply will look fishy in your application, so you must be upfront about it and explain. This, in my view, is probably a major issue in not considering you for jobs.
    Firstly, your application needs to show off all that is great about you. There is too much competition for a quickly-thrown-together one to be effective.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    As a summary of the steps to take in getting a job:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * * is at the top of the page
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 When you have had a few more early-morning phonecalls and have got some supply under your belt, do make sure that you are making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply. Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: called Win That Teaching Job. Not sure when the next one is.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between your supply pay and a real salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    I hope that the above has given you some food for thought. Job applications are much more of a science nowadays!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars