1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after SA club - have your say

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by gold19951, Jul 27, 2018.

1. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

Hi lovely Tessers,

I originally posted in Workplace dilemmas about how going through a recent SA has left me “broken”. Thanks to other wonderful posters like @grumpydogwoman and @Lara mfl 05
    I think I’m on the road to recovery. They suggested starting a new thread here where I can post about my daily struggles and have a general chat. Hopefully others who’ve been through this and are having a tough time or who are recovered/on the road to recovery will join us. X

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I have no experience of SA but am very glad to hear that you are beginning to feel better. Be kind to yourself, take time to enjoy this wonderful summer and hopefully there will be exciting new adventures ahead. Sending a hug x

Lara mfl 05 and gold19951 like this.
  3. gold19951

@grumpydogwoman I’ll try and reply again now!

Do give Unforgotten a go. I’ve just realised I’ve seen nearly every major drama by the writer, Chris Lang, and they’ve been fab! I’ve never seen Broadchurch either! Maybe worth a watch.

Thank you re steps! I made it over 2000 again yesterday and feel really chuffed. It’s lowering my average heart rate and I’m getting little bursts of endorphins after doing 500 at a time, which is the most I can manage at the moment - but only a couple of weeks ago I was struggling to do 400/500.

I love Zoë, Helen and Julie - they are all great role models. I’m sure they eat sensibly and normally so don’t feel the need to shout about it! I will get there, one day. Part of what’s keeping me housebound is the current weight I’m at, but little acorns and all that. I’ll concentrate on increasing the steps, then I might feel inspired to lose a bit so I can go swimming. I love swimming so much, but daren’t go at my current weight - they’d call the RSPCA and report a beached whale, I jest not.

I read a couple of articles on Freddie (I had heard the name, but didn’t know who he was!). He does sound very sensible and matter of fact about giving up drinking. I was surprised to read he’s suffered from
    bulimia and has body issues, bless him. He is gorgeous!

Off to watch OITNB new season on Netflix!
    X

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. gold19951

Aww, thank you @sunshineneeded. Lovely words. X

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I found you!

Been out at a WEA craft course!

Some of the courses are free! Health & Lifestyle sound appealing?

Yes. Freddie Flintoff has had depression, drinking, bulimia. Got himself in a right state sometimes.

Are you sure about the swimming? I'm not skinny but I'm not enormous. I also know better than to stare at people who don't look as if they're off Love Island (or whatever it's called). How rude! Sod 'em.

There might even be special weight-loss swimming sessions. Have you looked? And there'll be times when there are few people about. You could ring Reception and ask? Or even try a trial period (reduced price or free) at a private gym?

https://enrolonline.wea.org.uk/onli...1&filterSubject=1&CategoryID=231&SubjectID=-1

gold19951 likes this.
  6. gold19951

Ooh hope you had a great time! I’ve just checked my area and they’re all arty ones, which I’m rubbish at, but something may come up so will keep checking. They’re brilliant prices!

Have a little pic to show you...
    054D4C8B-DFBE-4358-A233-66CE7D81CC5C.png
    Am well chuffed with myself! I got a bit obsessed with the Cha Cha Slide from 1st episode of new season of OITNB and have been putting it on a loop and stepping away! The 5/5 days of exercise is only because I keep logging “driving” to get rid of random extra steps it’s been picking up because of the fans we have on in the house! Also, Day 1 of diet done.

I’m seriously thinking about the swimming now. I pay £15 a month for just the pool and sauna/steam room at a gym. You have to walk up 2 flights of stairs to get to reception and that has been putting me off but now my knee is better it’s just the worry of looking so enormous (which I really am at the mo). However, I did go when I was about a stone lighter and I’m sure I wouldn’t look much different to other people than I did then. Plus, someone who is very large is obviously going there to try and change that situation. Anyway, I hope to be able to tell you soon that I’ve bitten the bullet and gone! It tends to be quiet between 12 and 2pm, so that would be a good time to go.

Hope you’ve had a fab day. X

7. grumpydogwoman

Cha Cha Slide. I just love that phrase. As a phrase!

OMG. That fitbit gives you SO much information! Step count? Brilliant!

Isn't there a lift at the gym? There ought to be! Your knees really need you to swim. A stone is neither here nor there. I bet if I lost a stone tomorrow nobody would notice. I'm 18 on top and 14 below so not huge. But I could lose a stone and literally nobody would say a thing. You went when you were a stone lighter but it's only you who notices or cares!

They have to have a lift even if it's out of the way! I feel quite cross now! No wheelchair access then! Grrr.

gold19951 likes this.
  8. gold19951

Ha ha yes, there’s something really satisfying about the chs and s sounds together! I’d never heard it before. The days of knowing all the “in” songs are years behind me.

Having a lazy day today, feeling a bit low so not many steps done. Remembering what you said about it all averaging out.
    I have a Fitbit Ionic (Christmas present from my mum) - it is excellent. The heart rate tracker and sleep tracker are so accurate and detailed too. You can see how my average resting heart rate has gone down as I’ve increased the steps I’m doing:
    259852CC-63CD-4EA7-80B2-59C8A0C68DA7.png
    Fascinating stuff!

Yes that’s very true about people not noticing. I need to psyc myself up a bit more but it would do me the world of good to go. There is a lift; I’ve used it in the past to get back up to reception level from the pool. I tried to exit in it once, but the door it took me down to on the ground floor level was locked. I think it’s because it’s out of the way, and someone could sneak in that way and use the pool without being a member because it avoids reception. It did make me cross, but then I felt too embarrassed to challenge them on it, because I was going there to get fit. The thing is, though, I have a heart condition so using the pool got my heart rate up and I didn’t want to push it up too much by then climbing the stairs back up to reception. I was worried they’d just think I was fat and lazy because it’s an “invisible” disability. It’s not very fair on other disabled users, and possibly not even legal? I definitely second your grr!

9. grumpydogwoman

Hang on! Ring them!

Say you'll be arriving at noon and you need the lift for your dodgy knee! You're a member. A customer. The customer is always right and you've paid to use the facilities.

Ask them to check the lift and ensure it's in working order! You don't have to explain anything. You're a paid-up member. Let them provide the service. Everyone knows they make good money from people who sign up and then never use the place. Get it sorted!

10. gold19951

You’re dead right - it’s outrageous. I will ring them tomorrow!

11. grumpydogwoman

Did you?

gold19951 likes this.
  12. gold19951

I did!
    Not much joy though, as they said I could get to the lift at the back entrance and buzz for them to let me in. The problem is that the back entrance is a really long walk round the very long building that is used by lots of other companies and they said I wouldn’t be able to park in the car park by it unless I have a disabled badge, which I haven’t got. I did look into getting one when my heart condition developed, but I don’t think I fulfilled the criteria (i.e I can walk if my heart’s stable). At least we know they cater properly for the disabled!

13. grumpydogwoman

Bug.ger.

Heart condition, eh. You don't do things by halves!

Well, you've got to strengthen those knees so you can use the stairs!

You really need to be under the doctor (!) to improve your health and fitness. They can prescribe exercise classes etc etc. Surely then the gym would hand you an exemption for the parking!

gold19951 likes this.
  14. gold19951

Ha ha, I know! It comes and goes and I manage, but am more easily tired, when it goes. When it comes on I can’t do anything and it takes a couple of hours to completely recover. Weirdly, it’s been very stable since being off work. Hmmm.
    I’ll keep stepping - it’s definitely helping. Haven’t done so well these past couple of days so haven’t posted totals, and already my resting heart rate is up a beat or 2 and my knee feels a bit stiff again. It just goes to show how important it is to keep even slightly active.

Do you know, none of the gps at my local practice have ever been bothered about my weight. On my request they once prescribed me Xenical (?) which was useless, and once started a referral for gastric surgery (I didn’t go for the surgery in the end as the nearest place was a good 2 hours away, and you had to be back and forth a lot - not possible with a teaching job), but other than that they’ve never mentioned it - it’s always been me thst’s brought it up/requested help. Oh, I also had a 12 week referral to Slimming World which was fab, but sooo slow. Only one cardiologist and the consultant psyc have actually suggested it would help me to lose weight (as if I didn’t know!). Mind you, if I had gps that nagged me about my weight all the time, I’d never go! They’re always very helpful, so it might be worth asking about a letter. The thing is, the car park where the back entrance is owned privately, not by the gym, hence the need for a blue badge. Well, I’ll make it a medium term aim to go and keep trying to increasing my steps to strengthen my knee.

Started watching “Hidden”. You were spot on, it seemed very slow, then hooked me right at the end of the first episode. It has also arbitrarily inspired me to try to learn conversational Welsh! I found a little app last night and learned quite a few phrases. Among other things, I can now say “I am a dragon” :cool: How random, but makes me laugh!

15. grumpydogwoman

My mother was born in Wales and that neck of the woods is very familiar to me. Well, North Wales. Sort of. And I learned to count to ten in Welsh when I was teeny. I love the sound of Welsh!

Have I mentioned "Bloodlines"? Am also trying "Sneaky Pete".

This hot weather has been a gift to me appetite-wise. I hate the heat and it puts me off food. But my OH's appetite never varies. I don't know how people can get food down them when it's like living in a furnace!

16. gold19951

I had a feeling there was a Welsh connection there, probably because of you recommending KF and Hidden! It is a beautiful language. I haven’t learned to count to ten in Welsh yet - that’s very impressive!

Ooh good - Bloodlines next then and let me know if Sneaky Pete’s good! Getting very into Hidden, but only 2 and a half episodes left! At the moment I feel sort of sorry for Dylan (even though he’s obviously quite mentally poorly to abduct and lock these poor girls up!) and suspect the mother may be behind the deaths, but I may be wrong!

It might be the hot weather, but I’ve been inspired to try my diet again. I’ve lost 5lbs so far. It’s been getting to the stage where it’s been hard to breathe so enough is enough - I can’t keep doing this to myself.
    Had a bit of a set back today - the pysc’s secretary called to say my appointment on Monday had been cancelled and that she’s booking people up to November now! They cancelled my last one too, which was in January. I said I’ve been bed bound with depression and anxiety since Feb. and my gp can’t do anything without the psyc’s input. She said she’d try and get me an appointment with someone else, but I felt she was just trying to mollify me. There are probably far more poorly people than me who are having their appointments cancelled too - it’s ridiculous. Hope you’re doing welll and having a good day!

17. gold19951

I jumped the gun a bit there - the secretary phoned back yesterday with an appointment for the 21st, so am very relieved. Hopefully by then I will have carried on making progress on my own and any change in meds for dep and anxiety will boost me even more.
    Thank you so much @grumpydogwoman
    for your chat and support - it’s helped beyond telling. Hopefully I’ll be able to pop back to this thread in the Autumn and be able to report that I’ve braved some time in schools! Take care and thanks again. X

18. grumpydogwoman

Oops!

What have I been doing the last few days? I seem to have been busy. Tempus fugit and all that jazz.

The 21st then. August? Not November?

I don't get much of a sense of your age but check the U-curve. You may be on the downward slope now (for aught I know) but look how good life's GOING to be! And, as someone nudging 63, I can confirm the truth in this! So - good times ahead!
    iu-4.jpeg

gold19951 likes this.
  19. gold19951

Bless you, I didn’t want you to feel you had to reply so frequently as I’m sure you’re busy and have better things to do! It’s always lovely to get a reply from you.

Ha ha, yes, 21st August!

Hecky thump, that line graph is totally representative of my life so far! I am on the most descending bit (not very mathematical) currently, but good to know only 6 or so more years until life starts to pick up! How freakily accurate!

Steps have gone by the wayside at the moment, but I’ve lost 8lbs now and am going to start swimming next week. I have started tackling the post, which I stopped opening in Feb, apart from anything from school/union or medically related. I’ve avoided going in the room where it all is for very long as all school stuff is in there too, but I managed a couple of hours yesterday and it was fine, so good progress.

I hope all is going well with HM’s SA. x
    (edited for predictive text weirdness!)

20. grumpydogwoman

Two hours on correspondence. That's a lot.

Weight loss and swimming on the horizon. Good news.

The SA? Hm, I think we may be heading for Employment Tribunal. Which isn't good news. We'll know by Friday, I think. The time will be up. It's not looking promising.