1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after redundancy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by redwinesupremo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I am being made redundant at the end of the month - it's been a long time coming and extremely badly handled by my employer - and the dreaded day is nearly upon me. I am heartbroken at the loss of the job I love (and am good at) and have nothing certain lined up work wise for April and beyond, except the idea to try and go freelance and hope I can pick up enough work to pay the bills. How have others coped with this? I never thought it would hit me so hard.

2. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Sorry to hear you've been made redundant. I was made redundant for the third time, two and a half years ago - funding ran out and so all of us in my little team went. It was heartbreaking for us all as we loved where we worked, all got on well together and had lots of fabulous students.
    I was lucky in that I managed to pick up some hourly paid work at another college very quickly and also did some self employed work with training companies.
    Whilst I was really upset to have been made redundant, I looked at it as an opportunity to find other work and was quite excited by that! But that's me! Oddly I now have a permanent (but part time) position at the college where I picked up the work - but much preferred the flexibility and freedom of being hourly paid.
    Good luck to you.

3. I know things have a habit of working out for the best, as your experience shows, and my husband and children keep telling me to think of it as an opportunity too. I shall so miss my colleagues and being part of a team though and hate the uncertainty of it all. Am struggling to turn it into a positive, life enhancing experience at the moment. [​IMG]

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I used my last redundancy to completely change careers - best thing i ever did

5. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

My husband got made redundant almost 10 years ago and we moved to a cheaper part of the country. A huge move after 30 years in a city. The move meant a new job for me, a big promotion and eased the money situation. That job led to a job in the Caribbean where we lived happily for the past 5 years with our 2 young children. We're back in the UK now and I have another good job. My husband became a househusband 10 years ago and it's unlikely he'll work again now (he is 61 now). All of this would not have happend had he not been made redundant. I can honestly say it changed our life for the better!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mrs MSB and I both walked out of our jobs last year with nothing else to go to, so although we both felt redundant before resigning there was no actual monetary settlement. We're both freelancing in our own ways now, managing on a reduced income, and enjoying our work and our lives fat more than before. I appreciate you're not leaving by choice, but being positive about the next bit, even if it's uncertain, is the only answer. If you're good at your current job you have every reason to be confident that you'll be good at another job. I'm a strong believer in a positive work ethic, regardless of the work. If there's a gap between jobs, consider voluntary work - not only does it keep you busy and in contact with others, it also makes you realise some others are worse off than yourself - it helps to put things into perspective. Good luck with it all.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

sorry, typo: ..far more than before... (although 'fat' applies in my case).

8. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I feel for you as I am in exactly the same position. I too am
    finishing at the end of March after six years in the same school as a teaching
    assistant. Take heart that you are good at your job and there will be another
    job out there for you. I think if you can look on it as a chance for new beginnings
    it can help, one door closes and another will open.

At our school the whole process started last November with
    the confirmation of the redundancies mid January so the whole process has taken
    a very long time coupled with a two month notice period – it has been a challenge
    at times to stay positive. Management
    would never have granted this so called ‘gardening leave’ and while this time
    has gone by there have been some difficult times for those that are going and
    staying.

Perhaps we can post on how we get on in the near future.

9. I'd suggest for the first week off work:
    Do all the (cheap) things that you can't do when working. Like having a lie in, wearing pyjamas all day, having a long bath with a face pack, watching films, going for a walk in the middle of the day, go to the library and have time to browse, etc.
    Then from week 2 start looking at other options - jobs, voluntary work, training, etc.
    I'd agree with Magicsurfbus that voluntary work can be really good - for experience, building confidence and sometimes just for getting you out of the house.
    Good luck - I hope this is a new start for you.

10. Thanks to everyone for all the positive messages - it has helped to make me a bit more positive too. It has been a gruelling process taking more than 18 months, but it is only in the last 4 weeks that it has become inevitable that I will be redundant, so the shock has yet to wear off. I have thought about voluntary work and will look into it if I end up with a lot of time on my hands. Perhaps updates on progress would be a good idea, if it would help others in a similar situation to feel better about things. I like the idea of doing nothing for the first week. I have books from Christmas that I have yet to open, so I'll make a start on some of them.