1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

life after pgce!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lilac25, Jul 7, 2012.

1. lilac25

lilac25 New commenter

Hi
    I was just looking for some advice really. I have just finished the course, but due to a number of factors, have decided that teaching is not for me!! Just can't seem to get to grips with all the various hoops you have to jump through, as well as the intense workload, and the apparent need to 'devote your life to the school'.
    Just wondered how many people decided not to go into teaching after their pgce, their reasons for doing so, and what they are doing now. Not sure which direction to go in now, and was just looking for ideas.
    Thank you x

2. lilac25

lilac25 New commenter

Hi
    I was just looking for some advice really. I have just finished the course, but due to a number of factors, have decided that teaching is not for me!! Just can't seem to get to grips with all the various hoops you have to jump through, as well as the intense workload, and the apparent need to 'devote your life to the school'.
    Just wondered how many people decided not to go into teaching after their pgce, their reasons for doing so, and what they are doing now. Not sure which direction to go in now, and was just looking for ideas.
    Thank you x

3. I am changing from town planning to teaching. The reasons for this are that I get no paid holidays, have no employment based pension, sometimes have to attend planning committees which means I finish work at 9:30, and on occasion I have to meet clients at the weekend. My job is not very satisfying either and I have to deal with many unpleasant and unreasonable people.

Any professional career with a good salary is going to be demanding. I know because I have done it for over 20 years! All jobs will have an intense workload because no one except a fool would pay an employee for not working for every minute he or she is paid to do.

Perhaps you could do supply teaching or work as a TA? Obviously, the pay is not as good but I assume you would not have the same demands on your time.

However, if you do not like teaching then there is no point in pursuing it as a career but I can assure you that rewards are only given for hard work.

Maybe there are easier ways to earn money. I haven't found an easy way yet though.

You need to have a good think about what you enjoy doing and pursue a career related to whatever that is.

Sorry to sound negative but I've been in the world of work for a long time ;)

Good luck x

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I've never quite understood that something like 40% of qualified teachers only stay in teaching for 3 years. (Not sure on those exact figures because I've read something somewhere and can't find it again, but it was close to that!) However, I do think people have a rosy view of what it will be like, and even after working in education for 6 years I have still had points during my PGCE where I've questioned whether I made the right decision, but that was the pressure of writing essays and constant written evaluations at the same time as the teaching, many NQTs have said to me that the NQT year is easier as there isn't as much 'other' stuff to do and you can concentrate on planning, teaching and assessing.

I'm yet to find a job as I can't move and there's been very few jobs that have been suitable for me, but I'll do supply and I hope after putting myself through all of this I hope to still be teaching in 20 years!

Good luck in whatever you choose to do!

5. F1sydney

F1sydney New commenter

SNAP!

I have been looking for support jobs within schools and am hoping I can progress with this to pastoral, mentoring roles. Having said that I have just worked three days in an area outside of education and have never felt more appreciated in a job. All the people I was working with spoke and we had a good laugh, working well as a team. The bosses (and the top boss) said thank you and what a good job we had all done. Now my point is having worked in several schools both employed, voluntarily and as a PGCE student, I have never come across people like this. It made me think of the times I have been blanked in staff rooms by teachers and TAs and rarely having a thank you for my assistance. It makes me wonder if it's worth trying for education jobs still.

If you are still passionate about working with children you could look into support roles too - and I don't just mean TA jobs. Good luck though whatever you decide.

6. Hello there,
    I too am in the same position, I realised at the beginning of my final placement that teaching was not really for me...having had a few wobbles throughout the PGCE I kept telling myself that it would all click into place eventually. Unfortunately I was put in a challenging school for my final placement, wherein the majority of the staff were demotivated, depressed and lacking support from above. This was the icing on the cake for me, and i believe i came close to having a complete breakdown at points. I tried applying for a couple of jobs, in the hope this may provide the key to things "clicking into place". I managed to get down to the final 3 in an interview situation at a lovely school, alas I left the interview hoping that i wouldnt be offered the job...It didn't feel right. Not a good reaction!
    I am glad that I managed to stick it out as I couldnt bare the thought of thinking I had completely wasted the year, having left a different career to pursue this. I have come to the conclusion that although I posess many traits and qualities that are suited to teaching, there are many elements of teaching that conflict with my personality....Ultimately, the work-life balance of a teacher is not for me! (My husband is also a teacher, albeit secondary whereas I trained in primary...so i have additional insight) I am fortunate to have supportive family and friends around me and i am beginning to accept that you dont know if something is truly for you until you try, and in this case...unfortunately, it doesnt seem to be. I am giving myself a break over the summer to reassess the situation (recover from the PGCE) and decide what to do next... the world is our oyster?
    I'm sure you feel the same that this isn't where you had intended to be at the end of your PGCE...but i believe it is better to realise this now.
    Good luck to anyone else in this sutation, it is pretty scary but it takes guts to walk away and I have faith that there is a job out there for us. We should be proud that we successfully completed this very challenging qualification. xx

7. lilac25

lilac25 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply, it is so good to know that someone else feels the same!
    I too was hoping something would click into place, and it never did. I think i just realisied that i could not cope with the workload and pressure, and at the end of the day, my idea of what teaching would be was not the reality that i saw. Not saying that all schools are like that, just that has been my experience.
    I did not expect to feel this way, was so certain i wanted to teach. However, i realised i am just not very good at it!! Maybe i will change my mind in the future?
    Hopefully there is something good out there for us, i don't want to feel that i have wasted the year.
    Good luck to anyone in this situation

8. Isn't it the case that teaching gets easier as the years go by? It can't always be as difficult as the PGCE and NQT years.

9. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Have you thought about doing supply if you are looking for non teaching jobs?

The pay isnt too bad and I felt my supply experience 'filled in gaps' from my pgce so I was more confident about ym career choice. I always wanted to teach but supply helped me get to that decision.

just a suggestion :)

10. lilac25

lilac25 New commenter

Hi
    Thank you for all of your replies. After a couple of weeks rest and relaxation, I am feeling a lot better about things. I am planning on doing some supply and casual work for a while, and I will see how that goes.
    After giving it a lot of thought, I think it is not so much that teaching is not for me, but rather I need to find the right teaching job for me if that makes sense? I am trained and experienced in early years. That is my interest and experience, so I am looking at teaching at a children's centre, where I can combine education with social care. I think this is where my strengths lay. I am also considering teaching early years at FE.
    I think that the last placement of a PGCE is so full on and crazy, that it is almost impossible to think staright. It's amazing what a bit of rest can do, which is what I needed all along.
    Thank you again for your replies and help, and good luck to everybody x

11. gemmamarie08

gemmamarie08 New commenter

Hi [​IMG]
    I finished my PGCE in Aug 2010. Loved my first school placement but hated the second school which was very unfriendly etc. (more to it than this but won't go into that here)
    I decided I didn't want to teach either so I took a learning mentor type role in a College which is subject specific. It's very varied and includes things like supporting small groups or individuals with their studies in my subject and more general study skills, linking with local secondary schools to do revision sessions and enrichment activities in my subject and also delivering subject sessions to primary school children both in the College and in their own schools.
    Some of my work is full year and basically teaching my subject to the class while other parts are shorter.
    I can honestly say I love my job and wouldn't swap for anything [​IMG] I have built up experience of working with pupils from 4 right up to 18!!
    The only downside is it isn't as well paid as teaching but tbh that doesn't bother me as long as I'm happy [​IMG]
    So basically what I'm saying is it can be good to look at roles which are related to education but not 'proper' teaching posts as you can build up lots of experiences and still get to work with children and young people [​IMG]
    I am considering teaching again in the future but I have discovered that my passion lies in working with children with special needs so I'm working towards that by continuing to build up my experience and starting a p/t MA in Inclusive Education and SEN in September [​IMG]
    Good Luck with whatever you decide!