1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after LEvels in English

Discussion in 'English' started by english.teacher, Jun 11, 2015.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out assessments for next year and put long term plans together, but am struggling to come up with what to do about measuring for progress after levels...

Just curious to hear what other people are doing in English around the country?

Thanks...

2. jenny_s_white

jenny_s_white New commenter

we are going for written descriptors based on the same language forAQA GCSE (see the AQA textbook for these it is v good) and the same AOs with an effort grade and a number to show the rate of progress towards the GCSE target. Planning to trial this with Y9 after Christmas next year. For 7 and 8 we will switch to aos to get them familiar but will keep levels as they are in this system already

3. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Thank you for that! That's very similar to what we're trialing!!

4. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I think we're going to 'run out' levels in year 8 and 9 (whole school decision) and implement new AOs linked to GCSE in year 7. Then within 3 years we should have a whole system across the school.

Ofsted are looking for some movement; continuing with levels with no plans for replacements is dodgy ground with the big O.

5. songsong

songsong New commenter

Going to use the Edexcel/Pearson 12 step progression maps.

6. sahmede

sahmede New commenter

Which AQA textbook is this? I would like to have a look!