1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Life after leaving a post with a compromise package

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by richfruitcake, Feb 11, 2012.

1. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

In short, back in 2009 I posted a lot about my difficulties when I suffered work place bullying, went off sick for a term with work related stress, saw occupational health, got signed back to work then the head refused to allow me back and I was offered a compromise package.
    I thought it might help others who are going through all this at the moment to hear my story since.
    I did supply for a couple of years and applied for lots of jobs without success. However, I finally secured one term's employment in September which was extended to the year and has now been made permanent.
    Those who followed my posts may remember that my previous head tried to saddle me with compentency procedures but the union insisted she remove them as she had not followed the policy guidelines. Of course this experience left me with little confidence in my teaching. However, the school I work at now is in special measures so all teachers have their planning, teaching, marking and assessment constantly monitored with regular lesson observations and drop ins. The outcome is that Ofsted have rated my lesson and planning good and I have regained my confidence and self esteem. Any doubts I had in my ability to teach have been eradicated and I can finally put the ghosts of that dreadful experience to rest.
    I want to thank everyone who posted in the past with messages of support. You all played a part in my recovery. My regional NUT rep. was amazing and I would urge anyone who thinks they are being bullied to seek union support.

2. richfruitcake

In short, back in 2009 I posted a lot about my difficulties when I suffered work place bullying, went off sick for a term with work related stress, saw occupational health, got signed back to work then the head refused to allow me back and I was offered a compromise package.
    I thought it might help others who are going through all this at the moment to hear my story since.
    I did supply for a couple of years and applied for lots of jobs without success. However, I finally secured one term's employment in September which was extended to the year and has now been made permanent.
    Those who followed my posts may remember that my previous head tried to saddle me with compentency procedures but the union insisted she remove them as she had not followed the policy guidelines. Of course this experience left me with little confidence in my teaching. However, the school I work at now is in special measures so all teachers have their planning, teaching, marking and assessment constantly monitored with regular lesson observations and drop ins. The outcome is that Ofsted have rated my lesson and planning good and I have regained my confidence and self esteem. Any doubts I had in my ability to teach have been eradicated and I can finally put the ghosts of that dreadful experience to rest.
    I want to thank everyone who posted in the past with messages of support. You all played a part in my recovery. My regional NUT rep. was amazing and I would urge anyone who thinks they are being bullied to seek union support.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That's really good and something I can relate to. Apart from getting a full time teaching job - but that's another story. There is so much pressure and it is still incredible that a headteacher has so much power and influence over a career. Glad to hear you're back and happy.

4. I wasn't on these boards then but I read your thread when I was in the "depths of despair" myself. I was told the day before we broke up for the christmas holidays this year that I was going to be placed on informal capability procedures. I ruined my holiday by being tearful, anxious and upset. Good thing I didn't know that was actually the least of my problems - the union tried to arrange a compromise agreement (not really what I wanted) - but I was threatened with suspension!
    I got another job in a far nicer school. I had a week off school and will return after half term and leave at easter, I'mstill very worried but having another job means I'm not feeling anything like as bleak as I was.
    I am so happy things have worked out for you. Many people seem to survive capability, but not at the same school. My union were not very helpful and I feel disappointed and let down unfortunately. x

5. richfruitcake

I worry that it is going to become even easier for heads to bully people out of a job.
    My notice of going on formal capability procedures was given the day before the Easter break. But was unsucessful because I had not been put on informal procedures.
    I remember those tearful anxious days well. It is behind me but I don't think you ever forget it.
    So glad you have another job to go to. Wish you all the best.

6. I'm collecting evidence of bullying in schools - and would be delighted if you would let me have a short account - there are far too many bullies, a few - and I do mean few - able union people able to make a positive difference - and precious little else to help teachers under the proverbial cosh! Total anonymity guaranteed - pl pm me if you - or others - would be willing to assist with this. Thanks and great to know you faced up to adversity and successfully challenged it - and grew in the process. Well done you