1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lies our mothers told us

Discussion in 'Personal' started by suz3, May 2, 2011.

1. This occurred to me because I'm repaitig the living room walls today.
    Re decorating: "you get a better finish with a brush" .
    So for years I used a brush. The first time I used a roller I couldn't believe it - better finish, miles quicker and paint goes much further.
    Why did she lie?

2. This occurred to me because I'm repaitig the living room walls today.
    Re decorating: "you get a better finish with a brush" .
    So for years I used a brush. The first time I used a roller I couldn't believe it - better finish, miles quicker and paint goes much further.
    Why did she lie?

3. I'm good at using a roller..

[​IMG]

4. Maybe she didn't know, or maybe she didn't like new things, or maybe she just wanted to make painting more difficult ;)

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Because rollers spatter, and mum's don't like cleaning up.

6. My mum used to tell us that the ice cream man only played the music to tell everybody that he's run out of ice cream.

7. LOL
    My mother nad grandmother came up with some great whoppers growing up, such as if you pick your nose you brains will fall out, if you were still in the bath when the water ran down the plug hole you would go with it and that if you ate the crusts of the bread your heair would go curly (my sister and I have dead straight hair)

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

My mum still believes that if you don't have a shirt or t-shirt firmly tucked in, you'll get 'kidneys'. Crop tops give her the vapours, lol.

9. Love the ice cream one. My Mum said that reading under the bedclothes would make you go blind.

10. Are you sure she said reading

11. I'm having the vapours looking at Baubles pic.
    My mum told me that if I swallowed apple pips an apple tree would grow inside me.
    We had the ice-cream one too and I now use it with my grandson.

12. If you swallowed chewing gum your insides would stick together.
    If you sat on concrete you would get piles.
    If you washed your hair while you had your period you would do yourself serious harm (this was my grandmother's advice)

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My ex husband's gran told him that if you bathed or showered more than once a week it would weaken your back.

14. Is that why he's your ex husband Middlemarch? [​IMG]

15. If you slept with more than 4 men in one night you'd get talked about.

16. Many of these ring bells

I am still unsure why washing your hair whilst menstruating might cause a problem and why
    it was ever suggested it would

17. "it doesn't hurt. You soon forget it"[​IMG]

18. And it will make your periods less painful

19. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Cakes and bread eaten hot from the oven will give you indigestion.

20. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Because all bathing happened in front of the fire in a family tub, and mestruation wasn't discussed or even mentioned?